Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash to Spin — Parallax Forums

Flash to Spin

computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
edited 2007-12-25 10:15 in Propeller 1
I am in the process of designing a small game console using the propeller.
Something the size of the original gameboy.

A friend of mine suggested that a device that could play downloaded flash games might be cool, so I ask you all.
Would it be possible to build a program to convert either raw or compiled flash games into spin or assembly.
Or would anyone be interested in writing games for a portable gaming device.

The device will have an SD socket for loading games onto and will contain a loader to choose a game.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR

Comments

• darcodarco Posts: 86
    edited 2007-12-06 08:23
    I was thinking about writing a long and detailed explanation about what would be required to do this, but I think I'll just go with the short answer to your question:

No.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

darco
    www.deepdarc.com/
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-06 08:29
    As I am a kind of expert with ActionScript 2 and 3 (!) I should have enjoyed your explanation a lot! A pity :-( But I fully smpathize with your reasons and your answer smile.gif
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2007-12-06 09:37
    computer guy said...
    A friend of mine suggested that a device that could play downloaded flash games might be cool, so I ask you all.
    Would it be possible to build a program to convert either raw or compiled flash games into spin or assembly....
    Thank you smile.gif

This is the hard part, assuming you mean taking an existing game (e.g. Donkey Kong for Gameboy). This means you have a program that deconstruct a binary image into a reasonable program in its original language (say ARM for the GB Advanced) and then translate the ARM program into a Propeller asm program.

The short answer is, as darco says, is no.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-06 14:16
    It would be cool if the Prop were fast enough to emulate the Z80... And, if we had the C compiler, we could port Mame to the Prop...
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-06 14:33
    Rayman said...
    And, if we had the C compiler, we could port Mame to the Prop...

I'm afraid that too is not possible. The Prop doesn't have enough RAM to even hold a frame buffer for most games, let alone the kind of memory needed for the the game and the MAME code. And then, MAME was written in the Pentium era, which is far more powerful than a Prop. So playing tricks to add some serially addressed RAM has no chance of success., it's just asking too much.

Even emulating a Gameboy requires more memory than a Prop has.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2007-12-08 06:46
    Ok thanks,

The question was about flash games as in macromedia/adobe flash. smile.gif

So if I make this device and sell them from the forums and my website, will anyone write games for it. Like they have been for the hydra, hybrid and such.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-08 14:05
    computer guy said...
    So if I make this device and sell them from the forums and my website, will anyone write games for it. Like they have been for the hydra, hybrid and such.

There are so many factors involved that it is impossible to give an answer. Certainly people could write games for it but whether they would is a different matter. What benefits would they get from doing so, is it worthwhile, and how easy are you ( or others ) going to make it to write games ?

Perhaps the questions you should be asking are what would make your platform appealing to people to want to write games for it and what would it need to make it appealing for games writers to choose to write for.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-08 19:54
    I guess you have to ask yourself honestly why anyone would buy system?

The Hydra has a really nice book, nes joystick inputs, VGA and Video out, plus a cart slot.

The Hybrid has an SD card slot built in(at the loss of VGA), Atari style joystick inputs, runs at 96mhz instead of 80, and has acart slot. But no book, so you have to know Prop programming or be willing to find that info yourself.

What would your system offer that those do not? Also you need to have some games that come with it. I don't think it would do to well if it didn't have any games that come with it (Both the Hydra and Hybrid have games that comes with it)
    edited 2007-12-08 20:27
    It will be portable.
    Built in screen, and speaker.
    Is there any features that would make it appealing to you game writers?

Am going away for a week so I will not be able to respond to any replies.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-08 23:00
    You need to make sure it has a good·controller setup. But if you are smart, you should match the pins to an existing system and make it compatable so that is programmed on one system (Say the Hydra) will just work on your system. And I think you should have the option of having an SD card on it.
    edited 2007-12-15 11:04
    Yes, as stated previously it will have an SD card socket.
    Making it compatible with previous systems isn't really an option due to the size of the device I am planning on making. Due to the size the screen will probably have to be a serial based lcd screen, probably the o-led display.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-15 12:04
    will it be single or double prop?
    edited 2007-12-17 09:48
    what would you prefer?

Size restraints may pose a problem for double prop, however if that is what people want I will see what I can do.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-17 09:59
    dual prop is great, as it means you can have more cogs for video, on the second prop, and the main prop handling SD + inputs + audio + game
    edited 2007-12-17 21:28
    Ok, dual prop it is then.
    Who would be interested in writing a tv style driver for the u-oled?
    So that previous games can be easily moved over to my device (e.g. hydra and hybrid games).

Will upload an image of how I expect the outer case to look when I am finished just to give you guys an idea of the design of the device.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-12-17 23:35
    I have plans for a Hybrid handheld when I get PropGFX finished.
    The good thing is that we will utilise an existing hardware platform and adapt it for propeller.
    Think GB Advanced size, 320*240 TFT, mono sound and TV out, and best thing is, it's available now, we just need to adapt it.
    Maybe this is something you, me and Baggers could collaborate on?

PM me if you want to discuss...

Coley
    edited 2007-12-18 00:21
    You could write a u OLED driver that would be compatable with the TV pretty easily but the refresh rate on an OLED is a lot slower because they are all done through serial. But for strictly the sake of compatability it would be pretty easy.
    edited 2007-12-21 00:23
    Coley I sent you a PM.

JT Cook, I am still learning spin and can only do the basics like read an input change the state of an output and use (if, else, or, and) statements.
    The visual side of things I have always left to the experts.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-12-25 09:12
    Coley did you get around to reading that PM? smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-25 09:34
    @Computer Guy: It will be not a good idea to connect a bit mapped video buffer to a serial display for highly animated applications. Don't argue, that a TV monitor IS a serial display smile.gif This is different...
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-12-25 10:15
    @Computer Guy, Sorry I thought I'd replied already, you should have another PM.

Happy Christmas to everyone! smilewinkgrin.gif

Coley