Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CV output — Parallax Forums

CV output

mithlonder_mithlonder_ Posts: 2
edited 2007-12-06 08:19 in Propeller 1
Hello there!

I'm new in the microcontroller world, and I'm trying to create a secuencer for my minimoog.

The moog receives control input from a CV jack, with voltage ranging 0 to 5V.

Every volt you go up is a full octave, so you have to calculate the voltages in between.

I'm wondering if the propeller would be a good choice for such a project. How can I generate the required signals with it? Is there any library to work with digital-to-analog chips?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-06 00:06
    Download the application note on the counters (AN001) from the Download page of the Propeller section of the Parallax website. It shows how to use the cog counters as digital to analog converters with a resistor and capacitor on an I/O pin. You'll probably need an op amp as a buffer and to convert the 0-3.3V range from the Propeller to a 0-5V range for the mini-Moog.

Here: www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Microcontrollers/PropellerDownloads/tabid/442/Default.aspx.
  • mithlonder_mithlonder_ Posts: 2
    edited 2007-12-06 01:50
    Thank you! I will give it a look!
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-12-06 08:19
    I don't think that you will be happy with the stability and accuracy of the primitive "DAC" Mike suggested.
    You need a real DAC with more bits resolution and real rail-to-rail output. So you only can connect a DAC to the propeller and let the Prop calculate the right voltage and let send it to the DAC.

Here's a lit of I2C devices: <http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=232746&gt;

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO