Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bookshops chart = low memory — Parallax Forums

Bookshops chart = low memory

hal2000hal2000 Posts: 66
edited 2007-12-04 13:32 in Propeller 1
From what I have seen I am not the only one who has this problem.
I think a good option, it would use a single chip for graphics and data input devices
The other would be the one with the main program
Just need a highly optimized library for communication
Serial would be a good way
What do you think?
Any thoughts?

Greetings to all
400 x 364 - 40K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-03 15:37
    Several people have suggested multiple Propeller systems, partly for the same reason. Serial communications would certainly work.
    The existing FullDuplexSerial driver would certainly work at speeds up to 230KBps. You would have to design your own protocol
    that's applicable for your application since there are some many possible variations.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-03 16:19
    Depending of what you want to do with the data, there is astonishingly little advantage in moderately sized parallel transmission. Main reason is that you are bound to the HUB bandwidth...
    Reading and parallelly transmitting a BYTE is only a little bit more efficient that reading a LONG and serially shifting it out. Of course it will be different with 32 bit parallel transfer wink.gif
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-03 16:38
    Especially considering Beau's 8+Meg serial transfer rate. http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=233212
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-12-04 09:50
    Fred, I was thinking the same myself, so had a go at it last night. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work between a PropStick w/ 5MHz xtal and breadboarded Prop w/ 10MHz xtal, but I'm gonna keep trying smile.gif

I'm thinking of putting several Prop's in a ring - with Prop' n's Tx back to Prop1's Rx - and cobbling a token-ring protocol together. Seems to fit well with the Prop's ethos, as I believe it'll be deterministic, in a similar way to the Prop's hub.

Don't hold yer breath tho'; I usually only get to start Prop'n at 22:00hrs, and frequently give-up when I'm making too many stupid mistakes at 02:00 LOL.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • hal2000hal2000 Posts: 66
    edited 2007-12-04 13:14
    The library series the Beau Schwabe, is cool
    Great work.
    You are right Mike, I will have to make a protocol
    I do not think it is too difficult.
    I will work.
    near a fire extinguisher, one never knows… ..jumpin.gif

Envio editado por (hal2000) : 12/4/2007 2:11:00 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-04 13:32
    I've been working out a serial-based video driver based on existing video code, but
    most of it hasn't made it off my notebook yet. (Same problem as stated: I also start
    Proping about 22:00. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS