Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sieve of Eratosthenes - Spin vs. Asm benchmark — Parallax Forums

Sieve of Eratosthenes - Spin vs. Asm benchmark

Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
edited 2007-12-02 17:57 in Propeller 1
I wanted to see a Spin vs. Asm benchmark, so I threw together a quick prime number generator.

It's probably buggy, inelegant etc., but it gives an indication of the speed difference - native asm code that does a lot of hub access is still approximately 42x faster than spin.

It uses my 320x240 bitmap hack to view the bit flags "live" smile.gif

bug fixes welcome.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-02 17:57
    Bill,
    good to know! As you are well aware you are not sieving primes with your program, but to accomplish that would only be a small change, and was not your purpose in the first place.

But this makes it easier to do the math smile.gif The central loop body in your assembly code takes around 1 µs, and it is peformed 3 mio times (as SUM( 1/3...1/256) = 4.6 ), so it should take 3 seconds @80 MHz - correct me of I am wrong

The SPIN code consists of a medium complex REPEAT (15..20 µs) plus 3 operations (<< |< |=) taking 3*7 µs

So I should have guessed a speed-up of 35 to 40 (rather than the 42 you have meassured)

There is some optimization potentiality in the machine code, but not more than 30%.

The main reason why SPIN is so "fast" with this example is the use of constants (5, 64k); substituting them by variables will bring you closer to deSilvas "80" smile.gif

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/2/2007 6:03:10 PM GMT