Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug Terminal — Parallax Forums

Debug Terminal

joeldjoeld Posts: 49
edited 2007-11-30 01:27 in Propeller 1
I'm new to the Propeller. Is there a simple way to accomplish a debug type option? I suppose you could use the VGA and BS2 object to facilitate that but it seems like a lot of overhead. Is there a simple way to pass info back through the USB on the Demo Board? Being able to get some feedback on program execution to a terminal window would make learning a lot easier for me.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-29 20:22
    Both debug schemes are usable. There are several serial I/O drivers that come with the Propeller Tool and several that are available in the Object Exchange. Any of them will work as debugging tools through the programming port. Pretty much any kind of terminal emulator on the PC side will work. There's a Windows terminal program (propTerminal) specifically made for use with the Propeller and the Propeller Tool is expected to have a debug window in the next release.

The tv_text driver that comes with the Propeller Tool is very handy for debugging on a video display and has a modest space overhead. It uses one cog for the video driver. I've used this along with a VGA display for debugging a program that normally used the VGA display with the debug data coming out on a TV.
  • joeldjoeld Posts: 49
    edited 2007-11-30 01:27
    I'll look at the propTerminal program.·A debug terminal in the Prop Tool would be invaluable for us of us learing to program the prop.