Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reading and writing EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Reading and writing EEPROM

nohabnohab Posts: 96
edited 2007-11-29 15:10 in Propeller 1
Hi !

Please be patient with my newbie-questions!

Is there a way to use the EEPROM on the Propeller Protoborad, not only for storing the program but also to be able to save some parameters (from one program run·to another)?
Are there free memory or is the whole EEPROM used for the program? (Or does that depend on the size of the program?)
Are there SPIN-funktions to read and write to/from EEPROM (have checked the manual but didn't find anything obvious)

/Nicke
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-28 15:09
    1) Yes
    2) All EEPROM above 32K is not touched by the Propeller's download process. Once a program is downloaded into the EEPROM, all memory above the end of the program is available (and copied into RAM when the program is loaded from the EEPROM).
    3) Yes. Look in the Propeller Object Exchange for "Basic I2C Driver" or "i2cObject". Either one will do what you want.
  • nohabnohab Posts: 96
    edited 2007-11-29 09:59
    Thanks Mike!
    I checked the Basic I2C driver, which clarified a lot! I'll definitly make some tests with it.
    Just a question for my understanding: In the comments there is a sample "eepromAddress = $7000"
    Doesn't that point into the (later part of) boot area? Isnt' the free memory staring at $8000 ?

/Nicke
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-29 15:10
    The area from the end of the program through $7FFF will be overwritten if a new program is downloaded, but is available otherwise.