Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to understand video DAC termination... — Parallax Forums

Trying to understand video DAC termination...

David CuthbertDavid Cuthbert Posts: 12
edited 2007-12-02 09:11 in Propeller 1
I'm trying to make sense of the comments on the demo board schematic on the video DACs:
"These three resistors form a 1-volt, 75-ohm, 3-bit DAC..." and
"These three sets of two resistors form a 1-volt, 75-ohm, 2-bit DACs..."

Specifically, by my calculations, they're actually forming 150-ish-ohm terminators. The 3-bit DAC uses 1.1k, 560, and 270 ohm resistors; in parallel, that's 156 ohms. The 2-bit DAC uses 240 and 470 ohms, or 159 ohms.

If this is correct, there's an impedance mismatch. Of course, this makes sense if you're trying to divide the 3v output down to 1v -- 75 ohms on the remote end yields a voltage divider: (75 / (75 + 150)) * 3 = 1 volt p-p. In the grand scheme of things, this would be a fairly minor sin (after all, we're not expecting any incident waves on the Propeller to reflect back).

Am I missing anything here, or is my analysis correct?

BTW, this is one of the friendliest chips I've ever had a chance to play with.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-11-26 03:40
    Nope, there's nothing at all wrong with your analysis. Although the impedance is nowhere near 75 ohms, it doesn't make much difference for short cables. A better circuit, and the one I prefer to use, is attached. The resistor values are ±1%, and the output impedance is 74.8 ohms. 3.3V applied to all three inputs will result in 0.99V when driving a 75-ohm load.

-Phil
    233 x 207 - 1K
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-11-26 07:05
    Phil, have you noticed any quality difference using your circuit?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-11-26 09:03
    430R is OK, but what did you do for the 215R and 866R? Did you make them up from combinations of resistors?

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2007-11-26 16:42
    deSilva:

Any quality differences have been too slight to notice so far. But the longest cable I've used is about two meters long. I suspect that with a longer cable there would be a discernable contrast in image quality.

Leon:

All the resistors shown are standard 1% values, obtainable in either through-hole (metal film) or SMD chip form. The cost penalty over using 5% resistors is insignificant.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 11/26/2007 8:06:18 PM GMT
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-11-26 17:01
    @ deSilva

Are you asking about quality because you are using PAL?

I have found the prop able to do NTSC very well but struggles with PAL (lots of dot crawl) no matter how close the crystal is to the PAL carrier frequency of 4.433618 MHz..

With my PropGFX card I fitted an AD724 and used the Prop to generate the subcarrier frequency with very satisfactory results as good as a dedicated oscillator.

Is it that the video serializer in the Prop is tweaked for NTSC perhaps.....?

I wonder if other users have found this too?

Regards,

Coley
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-11-26 20:02
    I've found PAL to be good for debugging ( more lines than NTSC ) but quality beyond that is just so-so, certainly not consumer quality which is a shame. Luckily my TV does PAL and NTSC so I can use either; never thought I'd ever be saying that NTSC worked better than PAL though smile.gif

Maybe the Prop II will do PAL better ?
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-11-27 04:07
    I have often wondered why there was no load resistor on the video DAC, with no analysis I have just tacked on a 100 ohm resistor ( rules of badly bruised thumbs). I would like to see a similar analysis for generating the VHF video. I have posted a sound modulator for VHF TV use but there seemed to be little interest, I find that by just quieting the audio subcarrier you get a better experience.

Perry
    edited 2007-11-27 05:27
    Perry,

Just so there's no misunderstanding its purpose, the 191-ohm resistor to ground in my schematic is not a load resistor. It's part of an impedance-setting and attenuation network that provides a 2V P-P signal with a 75-ohm source impedance. The resistor values were obtained by solving a set of simultaneous equations that satisfied the following conditions:
    • The parallel combination of all four resistors had to equal 75 ohms.
    • The voltage at the output terminal had to be 2.0V when all of the input resistors were excited by 3.3V.
    • The three input resistor values had to have the ratio 4:2:1.
    When terminated at the other end of the cable with a 75-ohm load, the signal strength is cut in half to 1V P-P. Matching the source, cable, and termination impedance is important for eliminating reflections in the cable which, over long cable runs, can show up as ghosting or other weirdness on signal transistions.

-Phil
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-11-27 07:53
    (1) I am not asking because of PAL; you have to adapt your qurtzes and the basic resolution to it.. I played much with it...I gave it up due to compatibility problems...

(2) The main factor for good quailty is that your video and memory settings nicely match the natural number of pixels on your screen.

(3) The video DAC is a current DAC, i.d. it can best be understood in that it adds (or subtracts) current flowing through the 3 resistors. This is "reconverted" to voltage at the 75 Ohms resistor inside the monitor. So the source impedance is tendencially higher than in the case of R-2R ladders where you generally buffer the voltage to get a low impedance signal.

(4) As I do not use standard boards (except the hydra from time to time) all my video interfaces use 220, 470 1k smile.gif
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-11-27 11:00
    Another option is to just use the recommended values along with a 75 ohm load to ground and use a video buffer. In this case, you can also scale all of the the resistor values (including the load) up a couple orders of magnitude to save a little power since the buffer input has high impedance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
    edited 2007-11-27 19:02
    Ken,

Right you are, and there are definite advantages in doing so. But you do need to make sure the source impedance is still 75 ohms. In the attached circuit, an NPN transistor, wired as a follower, buffers the DAC output. This allows the use of higher-value input resistors that load the Propeller pins less. It also breaks the dependency between the load impedance and the output voltage. In the circuit, the collector resistor sets the source impedance but, because the NPN is being used as a follower, the output voltage depends only on the base voltage and not on the load current. For this reason the input and bias resistors should be calculated to produce a voltage on the base that ranges from 0.7V (all inputs low) to 1.7V (all inputs high). This will produce a 1V P-P output on the emitter that ranges, ideally, between 0.1 and 1.1V.

-Phil
    373 x 294 - 2K
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2007-11-28 16:53
    Can confirm the PAL output is a major downside for me at least. Have excellent Dot Crawl and Colour Fringing on a Sony PVM (Only two years old and the reference I go by for other video work) Ultra cheap TV gives a great NTSC signal. Easy to conclude that the Propeller does PAL - certainly the syncs are at least good - think Parallax just got lucky with this one. Wonder if in SPIN could be a command ForgetColourProblems = True

On a more technical note hope to be able to have a look at the video output on a Vectorscope over the Festive break and produce some results on what the PAL output is really doing. I feel sure this has already been done, but I have not been able to find any answers whilst searching the Forum.

Even with the video output problems, is still an amazing device and a total credit to all the guys that concepted this as a consumer product.

With Regards

Mike.
  • David CuthbertDavid Cuthbert Posts: 12
    edited 2007-12-02 09:11
    Could the PAL issues be due to implementing an incompatible variant of PAL (PAL-M)?