Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
image capture/programming on a chip using propellor? — Parallax Forums

image capture/programming on a chip using propellor?

sheonbankssheonbanks Posts: 10
edited 2007-11-26 22:41 in Propeller 1
The idea is to create a digital camera(or something that captures an image). The image comes directly from a CMOS imaging sensor or maybe I can take apart some digital camera and use that but i would like to build one myself from scratch. I put a post like this on the basic stamp forum and was told about embedded linux. This may work but I don't know how to put this on a chip nor do I know how I can use this with my filter. The filter just manipulates the image bytes.

I'm to too worried about processing time at this point however I am looking for the same capabilities in image capturing as a digital camera.

Can someone help me further? I know it can be done. I am not an engineer but a computer programmer so please forgive my novice attempts at understanding some technical principles.

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-25 23:29
    Try Phil Pilgrim's thread on his PropCam (think that's its name).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,221
    edited 2007-11-25 23:31
    I just started using a serial camera with the Prop:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/Cameras/cameras.htm

It's not the best quality in the world...· And, it's a bit overpriced.· But, I haven't found anything easier to use...
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2007-11-26 04:11
    "Simply" drive the CCD timing with the propeller at convenient speed.
    Voltage shifters will be needed and so will concentration while studying the CCD datasheet.

It is also possible to framegrab from a NTSC video source, which was done with an APPLE II around 1980.
    A fast comparator or A/D converter may be needed, unless you use a clever trick.

Some "Assembly" may be required.
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-11-26 22:41
    How much resolution do you really need. Any large bitmap will quickly use all of the propellers memory. for a quick and dirty image capture try my "Stupid Video Capture" http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=686552 it runs at 64 dots per line; close to the limit of the propellers sigma delta A/D and still allow for 3 assembler lines of image adjustment. could be good for motion detection.

I have two boards I am using it on now, a proto board that was the initial experiment and a "prop dongle" that has dual capture circuits that I am trying to make a 3D image TV image display with like you see with red/green movie glasses.

Perry