Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using Stamp for LCD and wireless functions — Parallax Forums

using Stamp for LCD and wireless functions

HaroonHaroon Posts: 3
edited 2007-11-26 02:46 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm trying to get started with using basic stamp. Not sure where to begin but I need to use it for the following project.

Creating a sound monitor that will monitor noise using a microphone. If the noise exists at a certain magnitude and length of time, it will display a warning message on the LCD. This will also send a signal to a computer wirelessly that might be in another room.

I would like to use the Basic Stamp 2 and the possibly the bluetooth transceiver (eb500 ??) to send the wireless signal. on the device itself needs to be a LCD which I would like to connect to the stamp. Can all this be done using one chip?

I'm a beginner with this and have no prior experience with microcontrollers so any help would be useful.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-25 07:05
    A Stamp can do what you need as long as you have some external circuitry to amplify the microphone signal and provide an average voltage. You'll need an analog to digital converter or a comparator to detect the threshold. The Stamp can do the timing.

There's a lot of information on Parallax's website. Make sure you have downloaded copies of the "What's a Microcontroller?" and "Basic Analog and Digital" tutorials. There's also information on the EB500 and the various LCD displays, usually through links on the web store page for the product. Download the Parallax Stamp Basic Manual if you don't already have it.

Several other people have asked about a similar sound monitor. Look through the threads in the Stamp and Stamps in Class forums for further information.
  • HaroonHaroon Posts: 3
    edited 2007-11-25 07:51
    thanks, will definitely try that out.
  • HaroonHaroon Posts: 3
    edited 2007-11-26 01:51
    Ok so after reading up on this I understand how LCD and wireless transfer will be done. Does anyone have an idea on how I would do the sound monitoring for a length of time. What I want to do is activate the LCD and wireless if a sound of certain magnitude exists for a certain amount of time. If the loud noise is there for say 15 seconds, it will display a message on the LCD and send a signal to another computer. How would I go about tackling this, any suggestions would be great.

I searched but couldn't find anything exact.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-26 02:46
    Here's one example of a preamp for this sort of microphone: www.reconnsworld.com/audio_electretamp.html

Here's another more complete circuit: www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200003/larryb.html.