Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
For Sale Again! WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Temperature/Humidity Sensor Module — Parallax Forums

For Sale Again! WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Temperature/Humidity Sensor Module

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
edited 2013-04-08 16:37 in General Discussion

Please see the post #49 for information on a new batch of modules................

Hello all! I am wrapping up a module that makes use of the Sensirion SHT11 Temp/Humidity Sensor. This 0.42"X1.0" module has a bypass cap, pullup resistor for the data line, pull down resistor for the clock line, and inline protection resistors for both the clock and data lines. The module design allows for use of the Sensirion SF1 filter cap (if the posts are removed) so that the sensor can be mounted outside and survive the elements. Connections are made via a 4 pin 0.100" header as well as solder pads for wire attachment. The PCB is professionally made, but I opted to omit the silkscreen due to space constraints. There is a label on the back side that denotes the pinout. It can be used exactly the same as Parallax's 20818 module.
My first revision was complete last week, but I needed to make some changes to increase the versatility. I plan to finish up the "spec sheet" in the next week or so and post more details on a website. I will also be testing the module with various lengths of Cat5 and "silver satin" phone cable to prove out the claims I have seen on the net of using it up to 100 meters. I am starting with ~140 units and my target price will be around $25.

With all that said, I am currently looking for some input:

1) If you were to buy this module, how would you use it?
2) Would you be more interested if the module was in some type of housing?
3) What microcontroller would you use for it? (BS2, SX, Prop, Tiny, Cypress PSoC, Atmel, MSP430, etc, etc)
4) Would you interface it with a wireless setup for remote sensing?
5) Would you want to buy the raw PCB if you already have a SHT11 sensor? (but only have wires soldered to it)
6) What other feedback can you give me based upon the paragraphs above?
7) If I offered a trade up for your Parallax module, would you consider that?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Andrew Williams
WBA Consulting
WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
My Prop projects: Reverse Geo-Cache Box, Custom Metronome, Micro Plunge Logger

Post Edited (WBA Consulting) : 6/10/2010 4:31:54 PM GMT

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2007-11-21 22:34
    Got the first shipment of boards today and loaded one up with parts. Shown with and without the SF1 filter cap. The green terminal block is soldered to the "wire pads" to make it easy for my testing of cable lengths. Also shown on a homework board running the Parallax 20818 demo program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    1161 x 1153 - 288K
    1345 x 1333 - 331K
    1261 x 765 - 168K
    1845 x 1193 - 596K
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2007-11-22 20:25
    Andrew

This a very nicely layout board

Look very Good

I would buy just the way that you have it in the photo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-11-22 22:50
    Looks good. However, it seems to me like it would be better if it plugged into the breadboard vertically (it would take up less space). In your pictures it looks like it would work that way if the terminal block was removed. For actual use in a finished product it may need to be either way. Maybe you could leave the header pin connector loose (not soldered) so the end user could decide if they want to use a different connection method.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
    edited 2007-11-24 17:23
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have been thinking of sending a right angle and straight header (unsoldered) with the module to allow greater versatility. This would allow for top, bottom, and vertical mounting. I am hoping to do some testing with cable lengths this weekend. I am going to start with a run of 200 feet of Cat5 strung around the property and let it log for a while to check for errors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2007-11-26 04:11
    Hey...what kind of battery is that on your board?

Raf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You've got to play the game.
    You can't win.
    You can't break even, except on a very cold day.
    It doesn't get that cold.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    edited 2007-11-26 16:08
    It's just a regular 9 volt battery with the foil cover removed. I was looking for some AAAA batteries and 9 volts are made in one of two way: Six AAAA batteries or six rectangular flat cells. This was an off brand cheapie. My energizer 9 volt had the AAAAs I needed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2007-11-30 18:28
    I am making progress finalizing this module, but would like to involve some others in one piece. I am thinking of putting about 5 of these up on eBay for sale with $15 starting bid with a possible $15 refund if you submit a report with the following information within 14 days:

1) Detailed description and schematic of your entire setup.
    2) Code for the device of your choosing (SX, prop, BS, etc) .
    3) Pictures of your setup.
    4) Text file of a 24 hour period of data logging from the device. (at least 10 readings per hour)
    5) Comments/feedback on the module's performance.

Of course I would be a little more detailed expectations in the auction, but you get the idea. I should be able to get these modules up on eBay by 12/9.

thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2007-12-17 06:29
    just an update.......The holidays have me a little behind.

I have the boards and a few will be built this week, but won't be on eBay til after Christmas. I did finish some testing and think I found what I was looking for. I attached one of my non-SF1 cap modules to the end of a 208 foot long piece of Cat5 cable (the last of a box I had) and the other end to a BS2 homework board. I placed it into a tree about 5 foot above the ground and used a piece of vinyl to make a rain deflector just in case. I setup a program to log to Stampplot for 3 days with readings every 20 seconds. The heater was turned on for two seconds every 5 minutes. It worked great for the entire 3 days. Even when it poured down one night and the wind blew off the deflector. Apparently water made it into the sensor; the humidity reading was at 100% for 5 hours until I blew into the sensor opening to force out the water. The temp readings were fairly accurate when the humidity was at 100%. I did not experience any anomalies in the data other than that. I think the key is to pair the data line with Gnd and the clock with Vdd in the Cat5:
    Cat5 Sensor
    Blue Vdd
    Blue/Wht Clock
    Green Gnd
    Green/Wht Data

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2008-08-11 21:12
    Can't believe that I backburnered this project for almost a year. shocked.gif Anyhow, I will be having a batch of 50 built next Thursday and will begin posting them up on eBay as soon as I can. I may also build a small quantity with SHT15 sensors, as I now have a handful of those leftover from another project. When I deplete my SHT11/15 stock, I will start selling a "kit" which will include a PCB, caps, resistors, and possibly the headers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-12 02:39
    Question: since your last post in December, have you had the module outside testing? Seems thats the market that you are targeting, so it would be logical to make sure it works reliably long term. So: did you?
    edited 2008-08-14 00:25
    The module in the picture was outside from early December to February 24th. I ran the datalogger at least once a week for a 72 hour timeframe, each time playing with different things (protective covers, enclosures, minor changes to my test code). The data was very consistent each time. The temp ranged from 39 to 64 F and the humidity ranged from 42% to 100%.

I checked wunderground during most of the tests I ran and my readings were very close to a PWS that is about 3 miles away. I learned a bit about proper enclosures to prevent the sensor from being adversely affected, but haven't made one that looks "professional".

Also, I only have basic logging code and testing code for the sensors. I would like to make a setup to monitor and log from 12 sensors that I will be installing in my house (3 BR, LR, Kitchen, garage, hallway@thermostat, 2 in the attic, front porch, back patio, and the roof) My ultimate goal would be to have all 12 sensors load to a webpage like Camalie Vineyards http://63.199.138.244/graphq.php

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2008-10-15 00:22
    Life has finally slowed down a bit, so I'm coming to a close on this little pet project. I have 150 modules built up and going through some testing over the next week. I completed my code for the tester. For my test, a reference module and the module being tested are placed next to each other and the attached code is ran. The air is cycled intermittently with a fan/heater to vary the temp/humidity to see if the device under test tracks with the reference module.

I'll load up a picture of my initial setup for reference later when I get to my camera. I'll gladly accept any feedback/criticism on the code's structure, cleanliness, etc. I am still not happy with the way I switch between the two modules, since the main section is just copied and hardcoded for the pin changes on each module. I would also like to switch this to my PDB with BS2P40 and use the 7seg LEDs, but I cannot get my BS2p40 to work right with pins above pin 8. that's another story....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2008-10-15 03:16
    Here's some pictures of the setup. The odd looking thing on the right is a jig made with a Carr-Lane clamp and spring test pins so that I can easily connect to the modules without a header soldered on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    506 x 480 - 88K
    532 x 480 - 87K
    edited 2008-11-30 07:33
    Yes, it's been over a year, but this project is finally coming to a close. You can find these modules up on eBay this week. I am still working on the full spec sheet, but will post my website link when that is finished. Thanks to all who provided information on using the SHT11 sensors, either by replies, PMs, or other postings.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-11-30 08:05
    I like that little jig that you have. Does it insert and remove your modules?
    edited 2008-11-30 17:43
    Unfortunately no, robotics was never my thing....... That part was done by a human.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2009-02-13 17:11
    Once a month, one of these modules on eBay will be started at 99 cents and 100% of the sale goes to a nationally recognized charity.· I just posted one now for the American Heart Association.

I've been doing very well with sales on these, so I figure it's time to give back......

Also, I will eventually be selling the module without the sensor and headers. All caps and resistors·will be loaded and it will come with a 4 pin screw type terminal block (as seen on my proto board).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio

Post Edited (WBA Consulting) : 2/13/2009 5:18:06 PM GMT
    edited 2009-07-21 08:38
    I still have a lot of these modules and they are slowing going up to eBay. I also have several of the boards made up without the SHT11 sensor. If anyone is interested in the PCB with the passive parts loaded (and supplied with the headers/terminal block) please let me know and I will make them available. Some of these modules will be at UPENE for the raffle.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
    edited 2009-08-11 08:41
    I finally finished my website for my module. I included several pictures and links to other code examples/usage. Here's the link.

www.aestheticacoustics.com/sht11_01.htm

Any feedback would be appreciated. My eBay auctions will now point to this page instead of containing all of the info.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio

Post Edited (WBA Consulting) : 8/11/2009 5:27:25 PM GMT
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2009-08-11 16:05
    Your link doesn't link 8-)
    edited 2009-08-11 17:22
    I just doublechecked in Firefox and IE and it is working fine. You can also go straight to the domain, aestheticacoustics.com and just click on the module picture.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    IT / Web / PCB / Audio
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-08-18 18:57
    You must have liked it enough to use it as your avatar!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

If it's not Parallax then don't even bother.

I have changed my avatar so that I will no longer be confused with others who use generic avatars (and I'm more of a Prop head then a BS2 nut, anyway)

edited 2009-08-18 19:26
    Yes, it was a "labor of love" so to speak. This was my first PCB design that was done 100% from scratch and made it all the way to a shippable product. My other designs have been copycats and only used for internal projects at work. It is super simple, but it still made it to market. My avatar will be changing in a few months with a new design I am currently working on. Hopefully it will make it to market as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    edited 2009-09-14 19:27
    Anyone using the SF1 cap for the Sensirion that can provide some additional feedback on its performance?

I'll be posting a handful of modules on eBay over the next week that will include the SF1 filter cap. They will be started at $19.99, instead of the usual $14.99 for the module alone. I ordered 25 SF1 caps from Newark but I have only sold 15 of them; 12 for a shipment of SHT15 modules to Australia and 3 that are on their way to some caves in Italy (can't wait for those pics). There was a price break at 25 and I figured the extras would be a good selling point for my modules on eBay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2009-09-17 16:34
    Hi Andrew, I meant to respond last week. I've used the SF1 with the SHT15 in a board that mounts in the Davis 7714 radiation shield.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=63838
    It is holding up well in agricultural areas. The radiation shield protects it from direct exposure to the elements. In the photo, the SF1 & SHT15 are in an encapsulation shell with the Rs and Cs, and the shell is filled with epoxy. It has a slow thermal time constant, but that is okay for the ag environment. In prototypes, I tried embedding the SF1 in a pool of conformal material without the shell, but the SF1 is made of a low surface energy plastic (polyethylene?) and nothing sticks to it well. The sensors worked okay, but I felt the shell would be a more secure option, despite the extra thermal mass. The SF1 is of course meant to be used that way, sticking up from inside an enclosure.

For other applications, I prefer the SHT75 on the narrow stock, and for protection I use the Goretex vent patches we talked about in another exchange.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    297 x 121 - 5K
    edited 2009-09-18 01:03
    Tracy,
    Thanks for the feedback, that's excellent. I have also tried sealing the SHT directly and have seen the attachment issues you mention. I have used Cyanoacrylate based glues to attach the SF1 cap first, then seal with an RTV. That has helped with caps coming loose. We have some sealant we are using at work that dries amazingly crystal clear and I may try sealing up one of the sensors in a mold with it. The stuff isn't cheap, so it would just be an experiment.

Where do you obtain your Goretex? I have not been able to find any up here in NorCal, but have been told there is a large fabric store in SF that has it.

thanks again

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2009-09-19 21:13
    One of my neighbors in the office park here was Erickson Outdoors, and they did give me a sample of a breathable translucent membrane carried on a nylon mesh, and it worked pretty well for humidity sensors. But that material was not something that they could obtain. It had been a sample to them too, and I asked around at other outdoor suppliers around here, but they had never seen anything quite like it. Alternative breathable fabrics were bonded to tightly woven ripstop, and those did not work well at all. Much too slow and always left an error.

Now I'm using adhesive vents from Gore.. They have a disk of very permeable membrane in the center, surrounded by a donut of aggressive acrylic adhesive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2009-11-12 01:31
    just posted some on eBay at "sale" prices (and will do so every so often between now and Christmas)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010

Post Edited (WBA Consulting) : 11/12/2009 1:37:12 AM GMT
    edited 2009-11-30 19:09
    Now available through Gadget Gangster!

www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=235

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2009-12-01 01:26
    It's also available in the component inventory, so you can post projects using Andrew's module.

It's a pretty cool little sensor - the price is very reasonable, and there's plenty of sample code to help get started. I put up a note on it a Let's Make Robots, and Gareth pointed out a really cool Remote Temp sensor project he did, it's an interesting read.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects