Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gps autopilot? — Parallax Forums

Gps autopilot?

marclamarcla Posts: 19
edited 2007-11-25 04:03 in Propeller 1
Hi?
I wonder how i can calaulate the bearing to my way point. I know both my Lat/Lon and the waypoints Lat/Lon?
Does anybody have some code?
I have looked but i didn't find anything please help me!

Comments

• PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-11-19 18:59
    Google "great circle bearing" , there are numerous examples

Perry
  • Paul_HPaul_H Posts: 85
    edited 2007-11-19 22:31
    Hi Marcla,

I have been working on a propeller based Autopilot (now named "PNav" at PNav.net) slowly and steadily for many months now and am happy for you to look/share/update the code. A few others have really helped me with their sode (Perry James Mole's DRONE, MK Borri's NAVAI, and many suggestions and help from the forums here). My goal is a working open source implementation that is as simple and reliable as possible.

My project information can be found at www.hubner.net and click on the Autopilot link in the upper left. I have code, video and pix posted. Also check out DIYDrones.com for other UAV project ideas.
    Good Luck!

Paul
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-20 02:13
    Paul,

Just looked at your http://paul.hubner.googlepages.com/autopilot... amazing.

I would bet that Oldbitcollector or Baggers could hook your system to a mapping utility and come up with a navigation aid for blind people.

Rich
    edited 2007-11-22 00:11
    Thanks for your praise but I'd wouldn't sleep a wink if anyone was actually RELYING on that code !! smile.gif

It's a work in progress so feel free to copy, cut, spindle and mutilate !
    Paul
    edited 2007-11-22 18:22
    I forgot I had recently posted a very high level overview for GPS navigation on the RCGroups board. If you are interested here is the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769133

Paul
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-11-22 18:53
    rjo_ thanks for mentioning me lol, but as a matter of sheer coincidence, I also have coded GPS stuff before for in-car pc's and pocket pc, I reverse engineered the aerial photography add on packs of England and Wales for MS FlightSim 2002, then converted the files to a smaller file size, as the full England and Wales textures took just over 4GB which was the limit of my CF card, anyway, I then got some height data courtesy of Nasa and wrote a 3D textured renderer to display my current position using the aerial photography.
    I did it originally for when I took flying lessons, until I realised my life cover doesn't cover me for flying [noparse]:([/noparse]
    I even did some path finding on the roads, for my local region that I manually entered.
    So coding flying a plane back would probably be quite easy, knowing pin points like the runway, and more importantly, where to approach, what height and speed etc, other features like collision detection with other RC planes etc, would need extra hardware of course, as you would already know that lol.

I've even been tempted to convert my DXT1 viewer to be GPS friendly, and allow scroll, and bring in new images.

Baggers.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-11-22 18:56
    I'm hoping santa will bring me a GPS module this year. <GRIN>
    No, I doubt I'll attempt anything that life changing, but since I already
    have the LCD module, I'd love to do some Geo-caching with a prop
    this spring.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-11-24 02:01
    Paul,

If you are looking criticism... post some code and ask deSilva to critique it... you'll be amazed. He even knows what you are thinking sometimes.

Baggers,

I suspected as much[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector,

If you promise to post it in your CookBook and give the idea of a navigation aid for the blind a try... Santa will be delivering early this year. Deal?

Rich
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-11-24 22:02
    @Rich, Once one of those little buggers wind up on my desk, it's going in the Cookbook.
    Navigation aid for the blind... Ok, you've got me actually thinking. I suppose you that
    a couple audio tones could be used to indicate right and left, depending on how accuate
    the GPS unit is. Does anyone know how accurate the GPS units are? Could one navigate
    say between the edges of a sidewalk or the hallway of a house?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-24 22:21
    Garmin's GPS get greater accuracy by oversampling and interpolating the inaccuracies put in the signal by the powers that be. That can take a couple minutes. I don't expect that modules are any better. I don't think any of them would be any good indoors.
    edited 2007-11-25 04:03
    Oldbit,

I've been itching to get my Christmas list into Parallax... Probably tomorrow[noparse]:)[/noparse]

If you can get it hooked up at all... then we can figure out what works best. All I know for sure is that if we lose the satellite, I want an "Oh F... in singing monk tones!)

Love your work.

Rich