Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pin Masks? — Parallax Forums

Pin Masks?

tom90tom90 Posts: 55
edited 2007-11-19 18:18 in Propeller 1
I have been told on this forum a couple of times to set up a pin mask to define my pins
something like this:

mov mask, #1
shl mask, pin

What is the advantage between doing this and defining a pin by:

pin6 long |<6

Also, when I setup a pin mask like the first example, on the second line "shl mask, pin"
where it says "pin" do i put the actual pin number there (#8), or how exactly do I define
that pin number?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-11-19 18:13
    Three options -

mov mask,#1
    shl mask,pin

mov mask,# |<n ' for n == 0..8

mov mask,pinMask
    :
    pinMask long |< n

The main disadvantage is that the first is a tad slower than the second and third, and 'pin' also needs to be loaded from somewhere. The main advantage is that the first can use a run-time supplied pin number, the second and third require the pin number to be known in advance.

Without conditional compilation it's not easy to switch between the second or third if pin number can be changed by the user, which forces the third case to be the default choice.

A handy use of the first is that it's easy to modify to make an output pin 'not used' by making it negative, eg, outPinNumber can be 0..31 or -1 ...

mov mask,#1
          shl mask,outPinNumber
          shl outPinNumber,#1 WC, NR
    IF_NC or  DIRA,mask

The rest of the code can carry on as if the pin were an output but it will have no actual effect on the I/O pin.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-19 18:18
    the headache is this: immediate data in assembly language is limited to 9 bits. You need to shift for pins 31 to 10.

Spin doesn't quite have the same problem, but the coding habit persists.

pin is a register (named cog location) whose contents are used to shift mask. The code you show assumes that it has been set by a mistake free program[noparse][[/noparse]mer].
    And mask is another named register, whose contents were set to 1 in the first line.

mask long 1
    pin long 8
    pin6 long %1000000 'initialized data aka named registers can obviously have any bit of the 32 set, requiring no shifts at·all..

Post Edited (Fred Hawkins) : 11/19/2007 6:25:17 PM GMT