Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB / Prop Plug issue — Parallax Forums

USB / Prop Plug issue

ZacRyanZacRyan Posts: 7
edited 2007-12-06 16:51 in Propeller 1
I have a proto board using the prop plug, but I can't get past the USB issues. I'm using Windows XP with SP2 on my Laptop.

I've tried several times to install the FTDI drivers. Every time after I uninstall it and replug it back in, it will go through the "Found New Hardware" and then "Your Hardware is Ready To Use", which then switches to "USB Device Not Recognized".

I've tried every driver I could find online, and its driving me nuts.

Another post I saw mentioned USBView. Using that it shows me this for Port1:

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0000
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x00 (0)
idVendor: 0x0000
idProduct: 0x0000
bcdDevice: 0x0000
iManufacturer: 0x00
iProduct: 0x00
iSerialNumber: 0x00
bNumConfigurations: 0x00

ConnectionStatus: DeviceFailedEnumeration
Current Config Value: 0x00
Device Bus Speed: Low
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0

Does that mean my Prop Plug is shot?

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-19 05:08
    ZacRyan, my blunted and unsophistocated advice: the Propeller tool put the drivers on my xp w/sp2 laptop. And then I just used it. So maybe try this: uninstall everything,
    reinstall the Propeller Tool, put power to the proto board, then connect the prop plug. (optional, turn thrice and click heels together).

With any luck at all, you will have a duplication of my dumb luck, ie it works.
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2007-11-19 09:55
    ZacRyan said...
    I have a proto board using the prop plug, but I can't get past the USB issues. I'm using Windows XP with SP2 on my Laptop.

I've tried several times to install the FTDI drivers. Every time after I uninstall it and replug it back in, it will go through the "Found New Hardware" and then "Your Hardware is Ready To Use", which then switches to "USB Device Not Recognized".

I've tried every driver I could find online, and its driving me nuts.

Another post I saw mentioned USBView. Using that it shows me this for Port1:

Device Descriptor:
    bcdUSB: 0x0000
    bDeviceClass: 0x00
    bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
    bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
    bMaxPacketSize0: 0x00 (0)
    idVendor: 0x0000
    idProduct: 0x0000
    bcdDevice: 0x0000
    iManufacturer: 0x00
    iProduct: 0x00
    iSerialNumber: 0x00
    bNumConfigurations: 0x00

ConnectionStatus: DeviceFailedEnumeration
    Current Config Value: 0x00
    Device Bus Speed: Low
    Device Address: 0x00
    Open Pipes: 0

Does that mean my Prop Plug is shot?

·· Hi,

····· what version of the Prop program are you using! an earlier version as well as the basic stamp one had problems with the USB drivers!
    ····· The USB driver can be set to a COM port which the program can find,the problem was that sometimes one could not access the port
    ······ it was on!goto· System in Control panel and scroll down to the com port and look for your USB port and open it and see what port it is!

···· Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://people.delphiforums.com/cocokiwi/Image/picture.jpg
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-11-19 10:50
    Try a different usb cable. Bad cables generally cause enumeration / driver installation errors. If you don't have another cable then try wiggling the cable around to see if it changes anything.
  • ZacRyanZacRyan Posts: 7
    edited 2007-11-19 13:47
    I've tried a different cable (the one from my camera), but same thing. And I don't have another windows machine to test it on.

cocokiwi: I'm not sure what your asking exactly. In the device manager, under USB Controllers it says "Unknown Device", and I never get anything under I COM ports.

Let me clearify. During the driver install I point the wizard to the unzip drivers directory. So far I've done this with CDM 2.00.00, CDM 2.02.04 WHQL Certified, as well one that was called R1
    (I lost the file, and can't remember the name, it was mostly numeric). And also the USBDriverInstallerV2.0.0 from the Parallax website. The wizard will search the directory I point it towards, and then say that no drivers match my device. Thats when i tried USBview.
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-11-19 14:51
    I didn't have to specifically install a drivers at all I installed the propeller tool software plugged everything in and it worked. I'd uninstall everything, I would even manually check that the files and directories are deleted. I would close every program on your computer, except systray and explorer, use the task manager to ensure that every program is closed. then install. I'd check your BIOS and make sure that it set correctly. and I would also make sure you have the latest USB drivers from you laptop manufacturer and get all of the windows updates. I would bet the there is another anti virus, camera or printer program running that is causing you problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer. - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster
  • AdamSAdamS Posts: 7
    edited 2007-11-23 19:38
    1. -unplug and replug the USB cab to the motherboard.· Did it fix the problem?· If yes than you have a boot problem with your USB hub.· If not then you have IRQ issues with the usb hub.

2. - There are different issues with USB and XP SP2.· there are fixes that can help the usb hub issue.

3. - If you have the boot problem you will need to look at your bios.· Any change you make please write them down and keep track.· This can also affect other devices in your machine.· When you are done if it did not fix the problem you want to return them to there orginal setting.

4. - You can turn off com1 or com2 in the bios. (I would try each one and reboot).

5. - Turn off plug and play

6. - Set Irq assign to auto if you have one

7. - Turn off Power Management in the Bios

8. - Disable the ACPI

9. - Inable the USB keyboard

You may also want to try Microsoft KB 892050
    edited 2007-11-28 03:59
    Finally got around to playing with this again.

I uninstalled everything, killed all running programs, and re-connected the device but that didn't do anything differently.

It doesn't seem to be a "boot problem", it never works.

I took a look at the Bios and the only option is to disable com1 and lpt1, so i tried that, no luck. No options for IRQ or ACPI (not sure what that one is?).

I'll try the windows updates.
  • PropabilityPropability Posts: 142
    edited 2007-11-28 06:50
    Some USB devices like to have the software loaded in before plugging in. As I recall the installation of the Prop software loads in the drivers for the USB during the install. Try re-installing with the Propplug unplugged. If this has already been tried then try installing on a different machine to see if the trouble is duplicated.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-11-28 07:20
    ZacRyan, You may have more than one virtual serial port device driver for USB installed, they may be conflicting. In XP Look at Start > Control Panel > Hardware > System > Device Manager > Ports (COM&LPT). You can browse resource conflicts via Start > Control Panel > Hardware > System > Device Manager > View > Resources by Connection. Regards, David
    edited 2007-11-29 23:49
    Did all the windows updates, no change.

In the Device Manager under Ports, I only see COM1 and LPT1. The only thing different after installing the prop plug, is I get an "Unknown Device" under USB Controllers. And I don't see any conflicts under the "Resources by Connection".

I'm going to try using the Proto Board via the serial port connection.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-11-30 06:03
    I've had no problems with the FTDI drivers on 98SE or XP SP2, like others the PropTool install just did everything as it should. One problem I have run into is that Windows keeps a cache of what it thinks it knows about and stubbornly refuses to let go and be told differently at times. Once it's decided something is "unknown" it can be hard to get it to see it as anything else. To sort the mess out has meant trawling through \Windows\System32\Drivers, \Inf, etc, removing things and deleting registry entries, all on a wing and a prayer. There comes a point where it's flogging a dead horse and there's nothing for it but to reinstall the OS.

The best option before that is to see if you can get the PropTool, drivers and PropPlug working on another system.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-11-30 11:53
    Try going over to Add Remove Programs in Control Panel. Look there to see if after uninstalling your FTDI driver there's still something from FTDI left over.

Look at:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Start > Control Panel > Hardware > System > Device Manager > System Devices

Anything in these areas with question marks etc. are possible culprits.

Like Hippy, I too have never had an FTDI driver issue before. It might be time to head over to FTDI and have a look. Maybe they have a FAQ or something - if not drop them a message.

David
    edited 2007-11-30 12:39
    When I uninstalled the drivers, I did check the Add Remove Programs. I also used an uninstall too to remove the FTDI drivers I found on their website.

And there are no yellow question marks under the Device Manager, now or when the prop plug is installed.

I'll check the FTDI website some more.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-11-30 13:18
    ZacRyan said...
    When I uninstalled the drivers, I did check the Add Remove Programs. I also used an uninstall too to remove the FTDI drivers I found on their website.

And there are no yellow question marks under the Device Manager, now or when the prop plug is installed.

I'll check the FTDI website some more.

Just out of curiosity, how old is this Laptop and when was the last BIOS update done?
    edited 2007-11-30 16:26
    Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1800-s204, about 6 years old? I got it second hand, and have never updated the Bios in the year or so that I've owned it.
    edited 2007-12-04 23:22
    Well I built the serial to propeller circuit and the Propeller Tool was able to connect on COM1.

I wish I would have done that from the get go... Anyway, now I'm ready to start on my project.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-12-06 16:51
    Zac,

If you’ve done everything listed above to no avail on the Prop Plug please contact Tech Support directly, either via phone or e-mail and reference this thread. We will issue an RMA to get that unit sent in for testing. If defective we will replace it. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support