Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[Help Needed]PropToll Idents Prop but Can't Download To It — Parallax Forums

[Help Needed]PropToll Idents Prop but Can't Download To It

DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
edited 2007-11-19 18:13 in Propeller 1
Hello All,
I just got my propeller Starter Kit today and I've got it powered up and the drivers installed. When I run the propeller tool it identifies the Propeller on COM6 yet when I press F10(Compile to Ram?) it says it can't find the propeller! [noparse]:([/noparse] What am I doing wrong? I've restarted the propeller tool and the prop w/ a power cycle. Do I need to restart my computer?

Knowing my luck theres so very large warning infront of the book explaining these exact problem so I'm going back to reread!

Thanks in advance

[noparse][[/noparse]UPDATE] For some reason I can't seem to identify the propeller. When ever i click "Identify" the leds on the startkit go through a sequence(ie, running) and the blue and red leds flash. On one time I got "Propeller chip lost" error and other tries fail to find it at all.
HELP! shakehead.gifshakehead.gifshakehead.gifshakehead.gif

[noparse][[/noparse]UPDATE2] I got it to work but I still don't like the situation, inorder for me to get it to work I had to press f10 repeadly in quick succession(the first about 10 tries failed and then the last one succeeded)< Not a good sign?

Post Edited (DiablodeMorte) : 11/18/2007 3:04:38 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-18 03:08
    1) Some people have problems with the installation of their drivers. Make sure you have the latest versions. You may have to fiddle with some of the parameters (buffer latency and fifo size I think). I'm afraid I don't have a link.

2) Make sure the Propeller is properly powered. There should be 6-9V available at the power connector with a current capacity of a couple of hundred mA.
    The crystal doesn't have to work to use the Propeller Tool, but try wiggling it in its socket anyway.

3) Make sure your copy of Windows isn't trying to download updates. Sometimes that will interfere depending on how fast your machine is.
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2007-11-18 03:36
    Interestingly enough, I actually got it working, seemed a system restart was all I needed! scool.gif
    Now, I'm sure due to my abysmal relationship with Karma something else will fail, until then, thank you!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-11-19 18:13
    There are several time critical portions of the download sequence (there to avoid an indefinite lock up of the downloader), Windows is far from an RTOS, sometimes when Windows has been running a long time (on the order of days) the latency of the PC grows to the point where it can no longer achieve a successfull download sequence with the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.