Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thoughts on posting game conversions? — Parallax Forums

Thoughts on posting game conversions?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-11-18 08:51 in Propeller 1
I need some input on something...

I've been working on game conversion of the Hydra games listed in the project pages here
in the Hydra forum. I've built my own NES interface which is Hydra compatible, and there
is an option in the works for SpinStudio which should allow others to easily follow.
(Not sure what the pin configuration is for the Hybrid)

I'd like to re-release these games to the forums for other Propeller users to enjoy, but
I hesitate to do so without the blessings of those here, and allow you to dictate the way it's done.
I don't feel right about posting Protoboard conversions to the Hydra forum, although Andre has
been very gracious about this in the past.

1. Do you mind your games,etc re-posted into the Propeller section with a link back to the original
thread here in the Hydra section?

2. Do you mind if I host a binary for beginners (on my own website) for use with PropDOS?
(With a link back to the original thread)

The motivation is to allow more people to enjoy your hard work..

BTW, just did the conversion of Planetary Defense.. Awesome game!

Comments?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.

Comments

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2007-11-17 23:12
    I encourage conversions of whatever I write, and I encourage posting those conversions, BUT --

The one potential problem I see is the use of any proprietary Hydra sources. If you can get Planetary Defense (for example) running on Board X without anything from the Hydra CD, then there's no problem. But if you need a Hydra source file (like a sound driver, in Planetary Defense's case) to build your Board X binary, well, I don't know.

At one point I assumed that distributing binaries built with Hydra sources would be OK, but now I'm thinking we really need to ask Andre's permission.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-11-18 03:39
    I'm afraid there's no easy rule of thumb. Copyright belongs with whoever wrote the code, and they can each have different views on what can be done with their software.

Even the stuff on the Hydra CD isn't straightforward as far as I can tell Andre's copyright applies to just the stuff he wrote. The readme says that individual programs remain the copyright of those who wrote them. JT Cook might have a different view on what you can do with Ball Buster from what Nick Sabalausky will allow you to do with his sound driver. But the Parallax files on there are free as in beer.

Personally I have not made my stuff public domain. I retain copyright on the parts I wrote. I make it free as in beer for the Parallax forums and for people to download and use, and to post any derivative software here on a similar basis. But I'd expect anyone who wanted to publish or distribute it elsewhere to seek permission on a case by case basis. And that's pretty much the default position I'd assume for any software that anyone else uploads here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 11/18/2007 3:53:33 AM GMT
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-11-18 08:51
    The materials from the book including nick's and JTs are copyrighted and part of the book. Anyone can learn and write their own, but those can't be distributed freely.

Andre'