Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Full datasheet now released — Parallax Forums

Full datasheet now released

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2007-11-19 21:27 in Propeller 1
It's official, the Propeller is rated for military temperatures.

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/PropellerDatasheet-v1.0.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-11-15 18:46
    Any other changes in there I should know about?
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-11-15 19:19
    Chapter 8.1 says:
    "... conditions in excess of those given in the remainder of Section 7.0."

That "7.0" should be 8.0 I guess.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-15 19:48
    Rayman,

He can only do what he can do... and if he did any more he'd be in trouble.

Rich
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-11-15 20:35
    Nick Mueller said...
    Chapter 8.1 says:
    "... conditions in excess of those given in the remainder of Section 7.0."

That "7.0" should be 8.0 I guess.

Nick

Correct

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-11-15 20:36
    Rayman said...
    Any other changes in there I should know about?
    There are 3 new graphs (all related to temperature).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-11-15 20:42
    Wow, I can dunk it in boiling water and it'll still go 100 MHz!

Wonder how many g's it can take...
  • The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2007-11-16 03:40
    More than 6G, test via a rocket in the Completed Projects section.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
    edited 2007-11-16 20:18
    I may soon be testing the Prop at 30,000 gee acceleration (and mega-g decceleration, but don't need it to survive that...).
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-11-16 20:45
    Sorry but, the title should be changed: It says Moco§oft Word - 111 PropellerDS1.0.doc. It should say something along the lines : Parallax Inc. P8X32 Propeller. It looks quite ... not right.

Graphs 9.2 and 9.3 have titles with different font sizes.

Very nice work smile.gif, I like the consumption vs kind of code and freq charts.
  • darcodarco Posts: 86
    edited 2007-11-16 23:03
    rayman: What in the world are you working on? 30,000G acceleration... followed by a deceleration on the order of millions of Gs... Probably from an impact... Lets see... I don't think a normal rocket would survive 30,000G acceleration. A guided artillery shell perhaps?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

darco
    www.deepdarc.com/
    edited 2007-11-16 23:23
    We're contemplating trying to put an active sensor in our railgun projectile... People have done similar things already... Look down a few slides here and you'll see a 60kgee 3-axis sensor:

http://www.darpa.mil/sto/solicitations/DESERT/hstssbrief.pdf

I'm hoping I can save the data to a micro-SD card right before it hits the catcher...
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2007-11-18 03:42
    Does anybody know what is the reason for the higher current consumption of a Spin loop versus an Assembly loop?
    The attached diagram from the Datasheet shows that Spin needs 2 times the current of Assembly.
    I think the Spin Interpreter in the Cog is also just an Assembly code, so the higher current can only come from the constant Hub access, or from the case that other instructions then a jmp needs more current.
    If low current consumptiom is an issue, it's important to know what the exact reason is.

Andy
    456 x 349 - 9K
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-11-18 07:23
    Ariba,

Evidently both HUB accesses and SRAM/ROM accesses are quite expensive current-wise. We *still* do not know if the SPIN interpreter is fully loaded or there are portions still remaining in the ROM.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-18 14:57
    Rayman, I am starting to guess that you plan on hitting a target at a non-trivial distance. 3 miles or so, yes?
  • tperkinstperkins Posts: 98
    edited 2007-11-18 17:15
    Fred,

The Navy's wanted an Intra-theater/Intercontinental gun system for a while now.

I expect they'll get it here before never.

Yours, Tom Perkins
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2007-11-19 08:20
    Thanks Paul. Nice to know the temperature range is official!
    For the record, link to other data sheet threads:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=642521
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=660907

I guess you must have made some kind of fixture to test several propellers at once. Can you say anything about how that testing is set up?

How about tempcos and spreads for RCslow and RCfast?

@Rayman--this isn't high Gs, but at high pressure of >600 atmospheres at 6500 meters of water it was the resonator that became the weak link. IThat might be a problem at high Gs too, unless you can fall back on RCfast.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2007-11-19 19:01
    Hi Tracy, no special test jig, just a bunch of canibalized protoboards. I too want the distribution of RCFast and RCSlow (at least at room temperature), but to get a large enough sample set would take too long and consume too many protoboards. I am trying to get the two quanities measured and recorded by our auto-handler used to test the chips, so when enough chips are tested I can compile the data and incorporate it into the datasheet. Still on the to-do list is measuring Theta-JA for each package, back current destruction test and PLL frequency limit as a function of temperature.

Ale, that was the working title for the in-house revisions, I can't find where in the published document where it still retains the working title.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • acy.stappacy.stapp Posts: 10
    edited 2007-11-19 21:27
    Rayman said...
    We're contemplating trying to put an active sensor in our railgun projectile... People have done similar things already... Look down a few slides here and you'll see a 60kgee 3-axis sensor:

http://www.darpa.mil/sto/solicitations/DESERT/hstssbrief.pdf

I'm hoping I can save the data to a micro-SD card right before it hits the catcher...

What kind of magnetic environment is there around the projectile during launch? Will the prop and eeprom be able to handle the induced currents (if there are any?)