Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
open-source usb oscilloscope software — Parallax Forums

open-source usb oscilloscope software

Nicolas BONNANDNicolas BONNAND Posts: 2
edited 2008-01-07 09:06 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Dear Parallax support,

Do you contemplate making your usb oscilloscope software open -source ?
It would be a winner-winner strategy both for Parallax and users.

- The open source community would help you port your software on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS, etc ...
- Your software would be enhanced with features you might have never dreamed of....
(plugins, perl scripts, etc ...)

Regards

Nicolas BONNAND

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-11-09 15:24
    Hello Nicolas,

Documentation. It has no design documentation. 80 hours of work minimum. We will be asked many questions that are not easily answered without documentation.

Do you think the community would still be interested in it without documentation? If so, I think we can open-source it.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Nicolas BONNANDNicolas BONNAND Posts: 2
    edited 2007-11-12 17:01
    Hello Ken,

1) Even without documentation, source code is still a great thing !
    Note that strictly speaking, the only useful documentation needed would be:

How does the raw communication between Parallax oscilloscope and Parallax pc software works ?
    Some hints ?

How to compile the source code ?
    Could you provide makefiles and an INSTALL text file basically describing how to compile the whole thing ?

The documentation about the way the GUI is implemented is not necessary.

2) You would have to choose one of the popular open-source licence to make parallax code public
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_licence

3) You would have to choose a site to host the source code.
    for example http://sourceforge.net/index.php

4) As far as questions are concerned, it's perfectly understandable that you don't want to expose your engineers to a huge volume of help calls.
    You could post a warning text along with the source code clearly declaring source code is provided "as is" and will not be supported by Parallax, etc, etc ....

Regards

Nicolas
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-11-15 12:40
    Ken,
    I think if you just documented the communication protocol that would be enough to let user create their own custom software.

If I remember right, it shows up as a COM port. So it shouldn't be too hard to code if you knew the protocol.

I for one would like to write a custom app or two for the o-scope.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.iElectronicDesigns.com

·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-11-16 03:45
    Hey guys,

I'll tell you the straight-up facts about this software.

Before I give you the whole story, I'll tell you that an unverified document explaining the protocol is available. Just ask for it by e-mail to kgracey@parallax.com. Since the firmware has not changed I'm pretty certain this protocol is accurate.

The engineer who designed the software (Doug) no longer works for Parallax. In fact, the most recent software version he designed was done under contract with our company. He's a busy engineer, and it was really tough just to get the latest software released. In fact he and I were supposed to be flying R/C airplanes together today, but we were both so busy we had to cancel the appointment.

Therefore, I can provide the protocol as written, but you won't be able to expect more from us in this regard. I don't know if it is entirely accurate. However, there will be a new USB Oscilloscope Help File which we are producing internally. This is for users, not developers.

Pleased to help the best I can.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Weston SchmidtWeston Schmidt Posts: 3
    edited 2007-11-25 00:20
    Has anyone gotten the spec yet & started a sourceforge project yet?
    edited 2007-11-26 08:18
    I have registered for parascope.sf.net for collaboration. I've got a perl module that is able to do simple data capture (not complete yet) that will go up on the site as soon as it's approved. Everything I am doing is GPLv2'ed. If you want a copy of the perl modules (it works using my Fedora 8 machine) please email me at: weston_schmidt __at__ alumni _dot_ purdue __dot__ edu

I will not post the spec on that site, but am working on a document that is based on the information in the spec that I will post.

Cheers,
    Wes
  • xchipxchip Posts: 1
    edited 2008-01-04 02:30
    Weston,

could you please post in sf the scripts you created so far?

thanks
    edited 2008-01-07 09:06
    The perl module to control/interact with the scope can be found in the subversion repository at: parascope.sf.net I'll try to find the simple data logging perl program I used and add an examples directory with that as well in the coming days.

--Wes