Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FullDuplexSerial Rx coding question and the uOLED-96 — Parallax Forums

FullDuplexSerial Rx coding question and the uOLED-96

JMLStamp2pJMLStamp2p Posts: 259
edited 2007-11-07 04:20 in Propeller 1
Good Evening,
I was having problems monitoring Tx outgoing serial data on my scope untill I changed to PLL8X and everything started reading fine. I need a little help using the Rx method, I would like to recieve a byte of· data, store it in·the varible Byte_Recieved and then jump to a paticular OBJ based on the byte recieved. I am using pin 21 as my recieve line and 20 for Tx. How is the best way to represent data coming into the OLED-96 ? And is all data in ASCI until interpeted differently ?

Regards,
JMLStamp2p
John.

'...........................................................................................
My code so far:
'...........................................................................................
{{OLED_Transmit_Test.spin}}

CON
· _CLKMODE····· = XTAL1 + PLL8X·······················
· _XINFREQ····· = 8_000_000
· dSlow········ = 50
· dFast········ = 20

OBJ
· OLED· : "uOLED-96-Prop_V4"
· DELAY : "Clock"
· DATA : "FullDuplexSerial"

VAR
· long Stack [noparse][[/noparse]9]
· byte Byte_Recieved
·
PUB MAIN
· DELAY.Init(8_000_000)
· OLED.InitOLED
· OLED.CLS

· REPEAT

··· Transmit
··· Recieve
······
PUB Transmit
· data.start(21,20,%1000,9600)················ 'rx pin = 21 : tx pin = 20 : mode : baud rate
· data.tx(1)
· delay.PauseSec(2)
· data.tx(2)
· delay.PauseSec(2)
· data.tx(4)
· delay.PauseSec(2)
· data.tx(8)
· delay.PauseSec(2)
· OLED.PutPixel(46,30, 0,255,0)····················· ' Put a GREEN pixel at x:0, y:63
· DELAY.PauseSec(1)
· OLED.CLS
· DELAY.PauseSec(1)

'............................................................................................................
'Need help here.
'............................................................................................................

PUB Recieve

·REPEAT

· data.start(21,20,%0001,9600)··············· 'Check mode bit(4), echo off on Tx
· data.rx·························································· ' ???
· If Byte_Recieved := (01)
·· Pixels·····························································' Jump to OBJ Pixels if data recieved was (01)
· If Byte_Recieved := (02)
·· Rectangles

··
··

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-07 02:39
    I don't understand what you're trying to do. Normally, the FullDuplexSerial object is started during program initialization and not restarted since the transmit routine will stay idle unless there's something to send and the receive routine will just wait for something to come in.

Data is received (as it is transmitted) as a sequence of byte values. If you want them to be readable ASCII characters, you have to provide for that. For transmitting, you can use the dec / hex / bin / str methods. For receiving, you can use the Extended FullDuplexSerial object to process the received data for you (somewhat).

The uOLED-96-Prop requires PLL8X for proper operation and a crystal frequency (_XINFREQ) of 8MHz.
  • JMLStamp2pJMLStamp2p Posts: 259
    edited 2007-11-07 03:31
    Good evening Mike,
    I just need help with the Spin coding for the Rx method as far as saving the incoming byte in the varible (Byte_Recieved). If you would please look at the PUB Recieve method below, I want to compare the incoming Recieved Byte and Jump to the method Pixels if I have recieved a (1) or Jump to method Rectangles if I have recieved a (2). I used the Tx method just to monitor the transmission to make sure that _CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL8X was going to work for me. All I want is to run PUB Recieve in a loop, test the incoming Byte and jump to a paticular method based on the Byte recieved.
    Thanks again for your advise,
    JMLStamp2p

CON
    _CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL8X
    _XINFREQ = 8_000_000

dSlow = 50
    dFast = 20

OBJ
    OLED : "uOLED-96-Prop_V4"
    DELAY : "Clock"
    DATA : "FullDuplexSerial"

VAR
    byte Byte_Recieved

PUB MAIN

DELAY.Init(8_000_000)
    OLED.InitOLED
    OLED.CLS

PUB Recieve

data.start(21,20,%1000,9600)

REPEAT

data.rx
    Byte_Recieved := data.rx 'Please adjust this code if not correct ...
    If Byte_Recieved := (1)
    Pixels
    If Byte_Recieved := (2)
    Rectangles
  • Adoy EsiwAdoy Esiw Posts: 10
    edited 2007-11-07 04:08
    JMLStamp2p,

If (Byte_Recieved == 1)
    Pixels
    If (Byte_Recieved == 2)
    Rectangles

You have to use "==" for compare, ":=" to set/equate. Takes some getting used to.

Adoy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    One's true identity can only be learned through reflection.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-07 04:20
    I don't know why you've got mode bit 3 turned on. It's really just intended when you're using the same line for receive and transmit (half-duplex).

You do need to use the code brackets so that the message editor doesn't adjust the spacing:
    PUB MAIN
       DELAY.Init(8_000_000)
       OLED.InitOLED
       OLED.CLS
       data.start(21,20,%0000,9600)
       REPEAT
          case data.rx
             1: Pixels
             2: Rectangles

PUB Pixels

PUB Rectangles