Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp to Propeller for Newbie? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp to Propeller for Newbie?

J.T.J.T. Posts: 31
edited 2007-11-08 23:32 in Propeller 1
Hi, I am just getting up to speed on the basic stamp, but I believe the project I am ultimately working towards will require multi-tasking a number of motors.· How difficult is is to go from the Basic Stamp and the PBasic to the Propeller chip and it's programming language? I

Does the propeller kit have a breadboard similar to the basic stamp (homework board?) or do you have to solder to it?

And lastly, is the propeller the way to go after the basic stamp for more of a "real" project, or is there even other brands that would be recommended for taking the "next step"?

Fun stuff!· appreciate any help!

J.T.

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-07 01:13
    I'm a bit biased, but I think it's pretty easy to go from the Stamp to the Propeller, particularly if you use the BS2 Functions object to do some of the more complex statements (like SHIFTIN/OUT, PULSIN/OUT, etc.)

The breadboard development kit for the Propeller would be either the Demo Board or the Propeller Education Kit.· The Demo Board has a small breadboard like the Board of Education.· The Propeller Education Kit is all breadboard and you actually lay out the Propeller and its support circuitry on the breadboard as part of the learning process.

For the immense power of the Propeller as a control computer, it's remarkably easy to program.· Any other processor with as much power would be much more complicated to learn and you can't beat Parallax for educational materials ... although the Propeller's library is nowhere as extensive as that for the Stamps.
    ·
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-11-07 02:16
    Personally, I was a bit frustrated with all the extra hardware you needed to do a complex task with the Basic Stamp... I've found that the Propeller can do amazing things with very little extra hardware. Most important is video. If you don't need video and are just trying to control a bunch of servos, I've seen a serial interfaced, PIC powered, multiple servo controller on the internet... Then, you could just use the stamp to send it commands.

I would say the Propeller is about 10 times more twice as difficult than as the Basic Stamp. But, the power and flexibility you gain is about 100 20 times.

I might mention other brands, but I'm afraid of getting banned...

Post Edited (Rayman) : 11/7/2007 2:37:58 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-07 02:43
    Rayman,
    You can certainly mention / discuss other brands in the Sandbox. There are many companies that make very nice "Stamp-like" packages that you can program in some dialect of Basic or in C and may be faster or have more features. The main distinguishing factor is ease of use and the level of support available from Parallax. I think the Propeller trumps them all as an upgrade path. Probably the only other way to get that level of performance or better is to go to an ARM or similar mini-Linux system and those don't work as well as a control computer.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-11-07 10:01
    Rayman,
    I'm not sure I'd agree with you saying the Prop would be 10 times more difficult - I would say it's different but when the idea 'clicks' - it becomes second nature . A major point here though, especially when comparing to other brands of micro controller, is that the Propeller is NOT 'Interupt' based - which is a welcome break from the norm.

J.T - As you are coming from the basic stamp - a good start perhaps would be the 'BS2 Functions' object by Martin Hebel - It has Serin,Serout,Count,freqout,pause ..... You could get used to the IDE and use functions you recognise to make things happen - then have a look at how the object works - then start with a few simple examples of your own. It will begin to 'Click' and the question will change from 'How can I ...' to 'What will I do next'... Knock yourself out ! - If you run into any difficulty any number of forum members will be at hand to dig you out of a jam ! - Above all enjoy !

The Propeller is truley outstanding - With regard to your question - "Is the Prop the way to go..." - Yes. I had been a pic bore! Sure it's (the PIC)·handy and functional but not exciting !·Also worth mentioning -·a while back I had (for some unknown reason) not tried the SX and I bought myself approx·16 (a rail of SX28)·- the SX manual and Gunthers book - I have only 3 left - the rest·are buried in various applications ... and there is·a Basic Compiler SX/B this is another option as an intermediary·step. It is a very handy microcontroller if the project does not warrant the functionality or relative cost of the propeller..

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 11/7/2007 10:16:42 AM GMT
  • slamerslamer Posts: 52
    edited 2007-11-08 23:06
    There is a challenge to learning a new IC and language. I just wired up the Propeller education kit yesterday. Boy do I have a lot to learn. I was sorta comfortable with PBASIC and the BS2. But I tend to be a bit intimidated with Spin at this point. It's too bad that there isn't a editor that can use the same PBASIC commands in the same way to make it easier for us simple hardware guys. Maybe someday someone will create an Expanded version of a PBASIC compiler that will make it
    easy for us simple guys to do what we did before with the BS2. That way we can have our NEW Very Cool chip and program it too.
    Also making the Propeller chip compatible with 5 VDC TTL levels ((built in) or at least some buffer/level shift IC's) would save a few wiring headaches. Although there is a fine amount of support available and OBJects so far (thanks guys). I could sure use a very simple Propeller for Dummies Book as well. A PROBOT Book like the BOEBOT Book would be most welcomed in my world as well. All in all this is a very Cool chip. This chip should make it possible to build a lot more interesting robot. Ultimate wish list..·A GUI point and click programming interface... like this....

http://www.robotshop.ca/home/suppliers/pob-technology-en/pob-technology-pob-eye.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedSteven Kirk Nelson (slamer)

Team K.I.S.S
    Build Safe, Build Mean, Build Strong!

Post Edited (slamer) : 11/8/2007 11:36:58 PM GMT
  • GUFFGUFF Posts: 8
    edited 2007-11-08 23:32
    J.T.·I was in the same boat about a year ago. I was working on a few projects with the stamp·and as time went along I realized I would need a more powerful chip to·complete my project goals. Thats when i heard about the prop. After doing some reading and research I decided to finish the current stamp project and wait for the prop before I tackle the others. I am glad I did. The programming language is fairly easy to learn and is very efficient. Also, objects have made using the prop extremely pleasant. With the help of objects I can use the prop as a blank canvas for almost any of the projects that I may want to tackle. Combine that with excellent support and you have a winner. I am glad I stuck with Parallax and tried the prop. smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    GUFF

Certified Stamp Noob
    Since 2005