Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SpinStudio Protocard project — Parallax Forums

SpinStudio Protocard project

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-11-07 01:17 in Propeller 1
"This is my digital thermometer. There are many like it but this one is mine."

If you haven't toyed with the DS1620, it's a neat half-hour project with good code in the object exchange.
Found out my soldering pencil operates at about 160F [noparse]:)[/noparse]

BTW, This was built on a SpinStudio Protocard. Hopefully Brian will officially announce them soon. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

Would someone mind posting a proper circuit for triggering an LED with this chip?
For some reason my transistor setup is affecting the temperature.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 11/6/2007 1:37:33 PM GMT
370 x 269 - 25K
350 x 262 - 19K

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-11-06 05:02
    Nice work!

That's exactly the type of mini-project I envisioned when I was designing the ProtoCards. Something that can be unplugged and replaced with a different protocard with a different circuit in less than a minute. These were really designed with SpinStudio in mind, but looks like they fit nicely in a Proto Board modified with the instruction of the Propeller Cookbook.

I'll "officially" announce them soon, along with another board that is ready for primetime. That will make the total number of perpheral modules available for SpinStudio jump to 9, plus I've got one cooking right now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-11-06 10:55
    Nice Work Jeff. Looks like there's another project for me to Work on.
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-11-06 16:51
    Oldbit,
    Are you refering to the DS1620 ?
    If you are having problems with your current program, you can always use one cog and trigger the led.
    I have an old prop program called CPU health, It is currently used with the spin stamp, you just need to change the clock and freq.
    settings to match the propeller, you can also remove the PRI servo settings.
    If you would like, I can edit it for you and post it latter?
    Rob7

Post Edited (Rob7) : 11/6/2007 4:57:11 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-11-06 16:59
    I thought I'd use the 1620 triggers to light a couple LED's (One from the high trigger, and one from the low trigger)
    I could use a couple more I/O lines from the prop and write a little more code.... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As I understand it, I should be able to connect a transistor gate to the pin, and run the LED that way,
    but perhaps my understanding of the configuration is incorrect.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

• Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-11-06 17:22
    Oldbit,
    The CPUhealth is just a blinking led. I use it with my programs so that I know that the propeller is running, I used the idea from a indicator led we use on our Cybeq 6100 robot CPU board, The robot is used for 6" silicon wafer handling.

Rob7
    edited 2007-11-06 18:38
    Thanks Rob!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-11-07 00:29
    OldBitCollector said...
    I thought I'd use the 1620 triggers to light a couple LED's (One from the high trigger, and one from the low trigger)
    I could use a couple more I/O lines from the prop and write a little more code.... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As I understand it, I should be able to connect a transistor gate to the pin, and run the LED that way,
    but perhaps my understanding of the configuration is incorrect.

Jeff, I'm looking at the Spin code right now "DS1620-Thermometer-v1.0.spin " that's included in the library that comes with the Propeller Tool. In the schematic, there are 3 LEDs connected to pins 5-7 with 1k resistors. I've put that same circuit together myself on a solderless breadboard a year ago, no transistor required, the LED's can be connected directly to the DS1620 and VSS (with an appropriate resistor)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
    edited 2007-11-07 01:17
    Ah, Somehow I didn't get that schematic in my copy.. (Flying blind)
    Yes, the 1k resistors make all the difference in the world, data appears to be accurate.
    Red & Blue (high & low) LED's have been successfully added.

What really bothers me is that I've paid a lot of money ($35) for a handheld version of
    this same circuit.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔