Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE upgrade hassle — Parallax Forums

IDE upgrade hassle

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-11-04 22:55 in Propeller 1
One complaint that I've always had, but kept to myself until now.

When upgrading the Propeller tool software. Why does it create a new folder and a new desktop icon and leave the old version in place?

I would much rather see it overwrite the current version, so that my code is in the correct folder in relation to the Propeller Tool, and the the file type associations are automatically re-associated to the newest version.

Or better yet, put an option right in the Propeller tool to "Check for Updates" and the ability to update the Propeller Tool without downloading and manually installing.

I only mention it here, instead of an email to Parallax because... Maybe there is a very good reason for the current upgrade path. Am I the only person that this annoys?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-04 22:16
    I don't mind it. I use them as a gross divider between different projects. (ie beginner stuff in 1.05, better stuff in 1.07) Maybe I'll toss the crutch eventually but it'll be my choice not something forced upon me by an 'upgrade'.
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-11-04 22:52
    > When upgrading the Propeller tool software. Why does it create a new folder and a new desktop icon and leave the old
    > version in place?

Did it ever happen to you that a new version of some software also has new bugs?
    Not that I think a new Propeller tool will have some ...

a) it is not whise to switch compilers during a project
    b) it is not whise to assume that new versions work with old sources.
    c) if you don't think a) and b) is true, you'll learn the hard way

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-11-04 22:55
    parts-man73 said...
    One complaint that I've always had, but kept to myself until now.

When upgrading the Propeller tool software. Why does it create a new folder and a new desktop icon and leave the old version in place?

I would much rather see it overwrite the current version, so that my code is in the correct folder in relation to the Propeller Tool, and the the file type associations are automatically re-associated to the newest version.

Or better yet, put an option right in the Propeller tool to "Check for Updates" and the ability to update the Propeller Tool without downloading and manually installing.

I only mention it here, instead of an email to Parallax because... Maybe there is a very good reason for the current upgrade path. Am I the only person that this annoys?

I always overwrite the previous version. Just change the destination path to something YOU choose {like D:\PROP_TOOL\} and always change the destination to install to THAT directory. Works fine.