Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ph sensor — Parallax Forums

Ph sensor

jyoungjyoung Posts: 16
edited 2007-11-05 15:59 in Propeller 1
I am building an automated home brewery for beer and I need to monitor the Ph. Has anybody ever tried to interface a Ph sensor from maybe a desktop, or handheld Ph Meter? Any ideas for a sensor would be appreaciated.

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-04 16:43
    how much do you want to spend?
  • jyoungjyoung Posts: 16
    edited 2007-11-04 17:46
    I would lilke to stay around $100. It is not a necessity but kind of a luxury for a homebrew setup.
    edited 2007-11-04 18:28
    and what level of accuracy?
  • jyoungjyoung Posts: 16
    edited 2007-11-04 18:45
    I am not really sure the terms for ph but 1 decimal point would be fine. ex. 7.0 to 7.1
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-11-04 20:35
    (buy yourself one). pHmeters are not _that_ simple. They need calibration. Basically is a very high impedance ADC, between -1 and 1 V. sort of 200 mV per pH unit. Use jfet OPAmps to get very high impedance, you will need three, 2 as voltage-followers to the inputs of the third in differential mode. And a Slow ADC, maybe a sigma-delta ADC made with the prop can work. Do not forget the calibration, for pH around 7 you will need a pH 7 buffer, made with monohydrogenphosphat and dihydrogenphosphat sodium salts. You can buy it already done, from Fluka or Sigma-Aldrich, Calibration is a correction curve. It changes with temperature as you will expect, and teep the electrode wet in KCl solution 4M I think, if I do remember correctly. Electrodes are expensive, and should be treated with care. You need a glass electrode, also known as pH electrode, or AgCl/KCl electrode,

Have fun smile.gif
  • tperkinstperkins Posts: 98
    edited 2007-11-04 20:39
    Ale said...
    you will need three, 2 as voltage-followers to the inputs of the third in differential mode.

Instrumentation amp, right?
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-11-05 08:31
    tperkins said...
    Instrumentation amp, right?
    , sure, but do not forget the impedance !, go the the metrohm site and have a look at a datasheet of a glass electrode, that will give you an idea. (A TL084 could be enough, due to the low speed). An electrode can take some 30 seconds (or more) to reach equilibrium.
    edited 2007-11-05 14:06
    If you wanted to do something different, really cheap, with many brewing applications, you could build a resonant circuit... the core development would be similar to an NMR magnetometer, which sounds fairly complicated, but all of the software techniques you would need are available either here in the forum or in the lab sections. The pH would be correlated with a shift in one of the primary resonance frequencies.

Why just measure pH... when you could measure pH and just about everything else that makes for a good beer?
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2007-11-05 15:59
    A good source for process oriented pH probes is SENSOREX. Particularly the flat surface electrodes. They offer preamps/transmitters and other accessories too.

The output is single-ended from a BNC connector, and it only takes a single CMOS input op-amp to inferface to the high impedance pH probe. It must be able to swing both (+) and (-) to cover the full pH range, but the amplifier can provide an offset for an ADC attached to the Prop. The gain and offset of the amplifier (or the software) have to be variable for calibration and standardization.

Moreover, the trickiest thing about pH instrumentation is interactions. It is one thing to have a pH probe on a hand-held instrument, and quite another to have the instrument hooked up to other sensors and to the rest of the world. In troublesome situations, pH instrumentation uses isolation amplifiers to break the ground loops. Or it uses a sampling technique that draws samples of the medium (beer) into an isolated container for the measurement. In relatively small batches that might not be a troublesome issue at all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com