Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it possible to MIDI in-out--->Basic stamp II--->serial (DB 9) — Parallax Forums

Is it possible to MIDI in-out--->Basic stamp II--->serial (DB 9)

RBRat3RBRat3 Posts: 1
edited 2008-10-21 23:11 in BASIC Stamp
I want to know if i can use the basic stamp to communicate midi keyboard to pc as an interface like for music production is this possible and how would·I go about this.

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-11-04 13:41
    Hey RBRat3,

there have been some Nutz & Voltz articles written that should help you out...

Check out www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads_V4.asp

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-11-05 16:21
    Hello,

The BASIC Stamp can send out MIDI data okay, but receiving it is usually a problem due to the baud rate and lack of a UART/FIFO Buffer. And SX or Propeller would be better at handling incoming MIDI data. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-11-05 17:08
    I have played with the stamp for MIDI-in and Chris is right....I am able to get bits and pieces of the MIDI code, but am missing all sorts inbetween.

I am now forced (somewhat reluctantly and otherwise excitedly) to learn SX/SPIN. At the moment I'm not sure which way to go....both are a fair leap from PBasic, IMO.

Hope to have something done in the next month in prep for Christmas!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • edited 2008-10-21 21:11
    ·Re: Steve B's link: I got a 'page not found'. Anyone got a better link?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Hacking the Trailing Edge!
    ················http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
    ················---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
  • Max WoodenMax Wooden Posts: 112
    edited 2008-10-21 23:11
    Here is the proper link: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/NutsVoltsVolume4/tabid/447/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Max Wooden
    Reedley, California