Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COllecting Data for SQL Database — Parallax Forums

COllecting Data for SQL Database

edited 2007-11-04 12:58 in Propeller 1
I have built a propeller board with some Analog to Digital converters and would like to get the data off the propeller into an SQL database. I know I can talk serial to the propeller, and I'll probably have to write some code in C++ or Java that can listen to a Serial or USB port on the PC and pull data from the propeller and drop it into SQL with queries.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get started. Does anyone have any adivce? Thanks

-Ryan Brandys

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-11-03 23:12
    I'd write all the data to a file, then load that into the database. You will need some sort of separator character for each set of values from the ADCs, like a CR/LF pair, and you will probably need to convert the values into the right format for the database.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • edited 2007-11-04 01:30
    Thanks Leon,

But the application I'm going for will update the SQL in real-time. Essentially, I find the graphics object, TV object, and VGA objects to be too limiting in terms of graphic complexity, and they don't work well for me. I figure if I can get the data into SQL, I can build a flash or java frontend to draw in real-time the data collected by the ADC0834's.

Is there any other easier way to get data from multiple ADC0834's into SQL?

-Ryan
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-11-04 01:45
    How many ADC0834s, what data rate, and what will the data look like? Alos, what's your definition of real-time?
  • edited 2007-11-04 02:56
    In the Object Exchange, I found this object:

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/148/

I modified it to work with an ADC 0834. However, it will not transmit. Is the transmit automatic, or will it wait for some kind of request bit from the host computer. How do I get the host computer (XP) to request the data? The guy who wrote this object didn't say what program he used as the debug viewer...
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-11-04 03:17
    There is an ethernet adaptor that could send data to your application quickly check it out

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=681159

Perry
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-11-04 12:58
    Do you really need an SQL database or was that simply a thought about how a solution could be arrived at ? Some other method may be far better and/or easier to achive.

As already mentioned - how much data, what type of data, how fast does it arrive, how long does it need to be kept for, and how is the data being used ?