Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE with debug terminal? — Parallax Forums

IDE with debug terminal?

Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
edited 2007-11-04 05:20 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I remember that there was work being done on a text debug terminal window for the Propeller IDE... I'm working on large model code, and it would be really helpful if the ide had a serial terminal window that I could send debug messages to and pick up key presses from without having to hook up a second serial port, disable the DTR-Reset connection or use a TV/VGA monitor. I am using all the pins for other purposes...

Any idea when the new IDE (beta code is fine <grin>) will see light of day?

Thanks,

Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-11-03 03:58
    Hello Bill,

I'll be sure to point Jeff (our Propeller IDE engineer) to this thread for a reply, but I need to state that I don't think he's made much progress on the serial debugger in the IDE.

We've been making a big effort at Parallax to clear Jeff's plate of any non-Propeller project and the situation is looking better. Projects like BASIC Stamp B.O.M. changes, Javelin support, and ongoing product maintenance have caused delays with Prop IDE improvements, but many of these tasks have now been assigned to other engineers.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-11-03 13:51
    Bill,

why you doesn't use PropTerminal? It can handle the DTR without problems also in conjunction with the IDE.

Thomas
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-11-03 19:53
    Duh!

(sound of me hitting my forehead like Homer)

Thanks, I'll try that. Forgot about it.

Bill
    Kaio said...
    Bill,

why you doesn't use PropTerminal? It can handle the DTR without problems also in conjunction with the IDE.

Thomas
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-04 01:38
    Bill,

There was a comment about memory in the Supercomputer thread... we tend to forget things for a reason.

Would you care to elaborate? You won't hurt anyone's feelings[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-04 01:47
    Bill,

Please allow me. I'm a Mac guy, I've always been a Mac guy and the only reason I use Windows is because I love my Propeller so much. I don't want to study Windows, I hate it ... I wish it didn't exist. But it is also very easy to use and if I had started out on Windows I would no doubt love it... but at my age and with my wife's money... I really shouldn't have to learn anything about windows.

Ok... So, along comes a need for a terminal... and I find the Propterminal... and it's great, except I can never remember where I put it and I have to go looking every time I want to use it... which is not everyday... but sometimes everyday for a week or two. Propterminal is fabulous. But going from the IDE to the Propterminal is a royal pain in the ***, which Parallax is fixing.

Thanks God.

Rich
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-04 05:01
    Rich, put a Propterminal shortcut on the desktop (right click on propterminal.exe, create shortcut, move shortcut to desktop)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-11-04 05:20
    I am guessing you are asking me to elaborate on what I am using all those pins for...

hooking up memory ofcourse [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The Hydra 512k card is very nice, but for some initial experiments - without a CPLD - I am starting to play with some 128kx8 SRAM's

Later I'll add a CPLD or FPGA or something and go with bigger memory chips [noparse]:)[/noparse]

See, the comments in some of the other threads about large model code only being capable of handling 8k instructions really hit home. When I came up with the large model, 8k seemed huge compared to 496 words, but it is still small; so I am looking into paging to/from external memory; especially now that I have a running kernel hosted in a spin image with a vga object... starting to feel the old memory squeeze.

Best,

Bill

p.s.

In case anyone is wondering, I am taking a very simple approach for now...

p0-p7 = data bus
    p8-p15 = a0-a7
    p24 = A16
    p25 = ALE (for a 74HC573 8 bit latch which latches A8-A15 from d0-d7)
    p26 = ~RD
    p27 = ~WR

p16-23 are used for VGA out [noparse]:)[/noparse] I love using the 128x64 text mode for debugging output
    rjo_ said...
    Bill,

Would you care to elaborate? You won't hurt anyone's feelings[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bill Henning) : 11/4/2007 5:41:11 AM GMT