Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OLED -96 Problems — Parallax Forums

OLED -96 Problems

Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
edited 2007-11-02 01:53 in Propeller 1
I received the OLED-96 the other day, had fun, showed it the students, etc.· Today I plug it in, and it still runs, but will no longer program.· I'm using the USB-CE5 programmer on another board right now and it seems fine.

Thoughts?

-Martin
·

Comments

• rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-11-01 21:44
    Can you characterize the failure in any way? Does hardware identification work? Can you load and run from RAM? Can you
    download from EEPROM?

Essentially, what precisely did you attempt to do? What was the response? How did the response differ from what you
    expect?
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-11-01 22:58
    Hi Rokicki,
    It says it can't find the propeller on the USB's COM port, thus no programming it. As mentioned, the program in EEPROM still loads and runs, and I can use the CE5 to program/power another board I have. Is it possible the CE5 is 'a little damaged' in that it can't supply enough power for the large OLED-96 display, but can my simpler, low power board?

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting Software
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-11-01 23:23
    Hmm, that's interesting and odd. When you have it plugged in through the CE5, the EEPROM program runs, right?
    (That is, powered off the CE5 and not off anything else?) If that's the case I'm not sure power could be an issue.
    I'd suspect the reset circuitry is iffy somehow. Does it reset when you try to program it?

Do you have an oscilloscope? I guess it's time to just follow the logic. First check if you're getting a blip on
    the reset line. If the reset line is blipping, check if you're getting EEPROM access (I think you can get to the
    EEPROM on that device). Of course check the power rails (+5V) and make sure they don't blip (too badly
    anyway) when you try to program.

I can't really suggest anything more than basic troubleshooting. My OLED still seems to work fine after many
    many programming cycles using the CE5 to program it.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2007-11-01 23:33
    Laptop or desktop? Some laptops don't have very good 5v supplies.

Graham
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-11-02 01:53
    Hi guys,
    I'm programming it from my flat panel's USB hub, and it worked fine for several days.

No, it doesn't even seem to reset, my program keep running. I'll have to check on the ability to load from EEPROM while jacked in, never tried. Thanks for the ideas. It's at work, so tomorrow....

My students thought it was really sharp, they just finished up some NTSC video projects, so the graphics without tiles was of real interest to them.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting Software
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies