Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller + Gps + SD card — Parallax Forums

Propeller + Gps + SD card

marclamarcla Posts: 19
edited 2007-11-24 17:57 in Propeller 1
Hello!
I want to make an GPS Logger whit an SD Memorycard.
My gps is an common gps·hwo talks RS232.
Does anybody have some code? Not for the whole project but·some code for the sd card or the Gps communication.

/Martin C
Sweden
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-01 19:20
    Have you looked in the Propeller Object Exchange? There's a FAT16 file system package that interfaces directly to an SD card (obex.parallax.com/objects/92/). There's also an Extended Full Duplex Serial package that provides some
    conversion routines to help parse a GPS string (obex.parallax.com/objects/31/).
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-11-01 19:20
    Rokicki posted a SD card object to Object Exchange. I have some notes on it here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/SD_Card/SD_Card.htm

For the GPS, if it's "real" RS232 you probably should get a MAXIM RS232 interface chip (or you can make a circuit with transistors). If it's just a plain serial connection, they you just need to include the "FullDuplexSerial.SPIN" file that comes with the Propeller Tool
  • Adoy EsiwAdoy Esiw Posts: 10
    edited 2007-11-01 19:58
    Wow. This would be an excellent project for the 96-PROP. Builtin uSD card for logging, display for outputting GPS data, and you could use pins 30 and 31 (not used when not connected to the IDE) for the serial GPS.

Adoy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    One's true identity can only be learned through reflection.
  • WookieWookie Posts: 27
    edited 2007-11-02 17:29
    I have a working Prop program that is reading serial GPS data, serial temp/humidity and other serial sensors, displaying that data on a serial LCD, and then logs everything to an SD card. Instead of using the FAT16 file system, I chose to use a serial data logger from Sparkfun. Cost was about $60, but it takes care of all the file parsing for you (and work was footing the bill so I didn't argue). Once I get everything fine tuned, Ill post the code up to the forum. The code is nothing out of the ordinary though. Lots of use of the serial routines and the GPS NEMA parsing routines found in the object exchange.
  • WookieWookie Posts: 27
    edited 2007-11-02 17:30
    BTW, if you just want to record serial GPS data, then the Sparkfun serial data logger works fine and is already done and ready to go with just a few connections.
  • marclamarcla Posts: 19
    edited 2007-11-24 17:57
    Hi

I have made one spin file how send the gps data from the gps to a vga screen.