Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
External Crystal problem — Parallax Forums

External Crystal problem

HGPLHGPL Posts: 15
edited 2007-11-01 12:18 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I sad. Work my application and... the propeller is stalled. I found the problems after an hour. The 5MHz crystal be wrong. The propeller working without crystal with XTAL1+PLL1X or other PLL settings. [noparse]:)[/noparse]))) Without crystal... I think I will take a measuring. Without crystal the propeller XI-XO working with the environment 50Hz noise. [noparse]:)[/noparse]))

But I have not solutions my problem. Why not working the propeller!
I think the crystal is good (but not tested yet). My brother's propeller XI-XO pins become wrong too about 2 month ago.
The circuit is normal with recommendation, and my and brother's circuit are different.

What is the matter! There are anybody's similar problems?
And what am i doing?

Very thanks!
Gabor

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-11-01 10:34
    Check the crystal connections, you might have a poor solder joint. The crystal might be faulty, of course, but it's unlikely.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • HGPLHGPL Posts: 15
    edited 2007-11-01 10:41
    No problem. The solder is OK. I get it off the crystal and put it on again. I have not oscilloscope unfortunatelly. [noparse]:([/noparse]

thanks.

And I think the cystal is OK too. But the Propeller is go to wrong????
    No tuching.. no soldering. Working only...
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-11-01 11:59
    Sounds like the infamous PLL failure problem that some have experienced. All circuits have a "weaker" link somewhere and on the propeller it seems to be the PLL circuit.

The trouble seems to stem from driving inductive loads with inadequate grounds such as in breadboard circuits etc. Well that's my impression but others may have their own opinions. Personally though, I've played with a lot of prop chips and haven't had one tiny speck of trouble, but then again the chips are designed into pcbs and not breadboarded.

The other possibility is ESD damage to the sensitive oscillator pins perhaps?

Have you tried running with a crystal configuration but at a lower PLL setting?

CHANT: more info...more info...more info...

*Peter*
  • HGPLHGPL Posts: 15
    edited 2007-11-01 12:18
    Thanks,
    I trying some PLL confguration. Not working. Inner RC oscillator is running, and the XTAL1 + PLL2x etc. too. I think the PLL is running, because I try XTAL1+PLL2x and the CPU running (without crystal with environment 50Hz noise) and I calculate about 100Hz Crystal freq. And I control all PLL config and it seems working. It is a funny test [noparse]:)[/noparse])

I think the PIN is breaked inner the chip, or ... nothing else imagine.
    Is This a standard problem?

thanks,

Post Edited (HGPL) : 11/1/2007 8:48:09 PM GMT