Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Examples of student projects with the Propeller — Parallax Forums

Examples of student projects with the Propeller

Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
edited 2007-11-01 21:22 in Propeller 1
I've posted some pic/video's of my student's midterm projects using the Propeller and working from the Hydra manual (ok, only up to Chapter 13 or so, we've been using the installed libraries and object libraries from video graphics).· An explaination of their task is on the page.· It's been EXTREMELY interesting teaching this course with the Propeller and Andre's excellent book.· Next week we start on Assembly, yay!

http://www.siu.edu/~mhebel/est342/vid_proj/index.htm

Thanks for responses to their posted questions as they sought solutions!· They definately pushed my knowledge at times, and I've learned a lot from Andre's text while teaching, with plenty to go.

-Martin Hebel

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
StampPlot - GUI and Plotting Software
Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-01 03:22
    Martin,
    FYI, I have been unable to play any of the videos posted on your website. I use a Mac with their latest OS (10.5) and have Flip4Mac which is an add-on to play Windows Media Viewer type files (and has worked before with AVI and WMV files).

Nice projects though!
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-11-01 03:26
    Mike,
    You'll need to save locally probably 1st, the server doesn't stream. I'll post a note, thanks.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-11-01 10:37
    I played one OK, it was very short though.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-01 14:03
    Martin,

You can save them locally or just keep hitting the play button to keep them downloading. The server looks like it is dying under our collective sapping.

Fabulous... would love to see the code and student comments about their experience.

What seems to be missing is a video archive of your lectures. MIT does it[noparse]:)[/noparse]

SIU could lower its tuition and improve instructor environmentals by offering subscription-based web courses[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Re-Use, Re-Purpose, ReMIT!!!

Rich
    edited 2007-11-01 15:20
    Thanks Rich,
    I'm working on reducing the vids or trying to embed them. Never gonna see any video's of me, lecture or otherwise, at least not as the focus of one.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-01 17:08
    To reduce the server strain and the time for download (from 33Meg to 2 Meg), I found some software to help me out, and to brand the video's for the program. The video's now open as a new page with a player. Please let me know if you have any issues. I don't think the video's are Mac compatible any longer as it uses an Active-X control. Sorry Mike and others.

http://www.siu.edu/~mhebel/est342/vid_proj/index.htm

-Martin
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-11-01 17:15
    Well, seems quite quite fun !, But you get a "you need to download a m$ plugin" to play on GNU/Linux :-(, a link to the actual files can help, now.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-11-01 17:37
    Martin,

Both versions worked fine for me on my iMac G5 (Panther) with Flip4Mac. Interesting class, BTW. You've got your students doing some neat stuff!

-Phil
    edited 2007-11-01 17:40
    Hi Phil,
    The originals are like 30M to 77M, eating up my alloted diskspace and such. Maybe I'll get the students to put them on U-tube.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-01 17:57
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks about the Mac info. It's been an interesting class to teach. They've done a number of projects, and it's the least 'hand-holding' I've had to do, we've been able to look at higher level uses much faster than in the past, and students seem much more engaged than in the past. Not having to spend 5-6 weeks simply covering hardware in typical controllers has allowed us to move a lot faster into actual applications.

-Martin
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,751
    edited 2007-11-01 19:09
    edited 2007-11-01 21:19
    Thanks ErNa! I didn't know that had been posted yet! Thanks for letting me know, and appreciate the kind words.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-01 21:22
    Maybe I spoke too soon ErNa... where DID you find that link?

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔