Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How much noise is expected? — Parallax Forums

How much noise is expected?

clemen2clemen2 Posts: 10
edited 2007-11-02 14:10 in Propeller 1
··········· There have been many discussions about adc methods and woes, but I still have a question.· I am using a load cell (output 0-30 mV) to measure force. ·I am using a AD623 ·Instrumentation Amplifier to amp the 0-30 mV signal (amp set to factor of ~ 211 by external resister).· This signal is then sent for digital conversion to a MAX1202 chip.· Using the documentation available for these IC’s I have been able to set up a functioning circuit that is read by the prop.· As far as I can tell the 1202 is working great thanks to a .spin post by James Long.· My problem is the noise in the amped signal out of the AD623- at 1300 mV (subtracting an offset) I am getting about +/- 11 mV (stdev = 5.4).· This is about a 0.8% error in the amp. ·At zero volts the error is similar, stdev = 4.8. ·I have included a graph of output to visualize the noise.
·
··········· For a power I’m using a converted computer power source.· The IC chips are working of +5/-5 volts.· The circuit is set up on a breadboard. ·Naturally there are computer monitors and a computer (within inches) of the breadboard and a wireless router and fluorescent lights within feet.
·
··········· These errors seem high to me but before I spend too many more days tinkering with power supplies and low pass filters I wanted to get impressions from folks about the size of these errors.
·
Thanks
Cliff Lemen
474 x 368 - 24K

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-10-31 23:49
    Ahhh, there you go. Breadboard, PC PSU, you really don't want this circuit to work, do you?

WHAT YOU NEED:
    1. Linear regulator and decoupling caps for the AD623.
    2. PCB with proper ground planes (even on 2-layer)

PC PSUs are fine for digital logic but they aren't designed for sensitive analog circuits. Also, the PSU won't regulate effectively unless it has quite a bit of load on it's +5V line as this is the line it monitors.

You can breadboard digital circuits to some degree but breadboarded analog circuits are only good for functional checks. Amplifiers do what they do best, amplify. If you have PSU noise and ground noise and radiated noise, well, they are just going to amplify it.

*Peter*
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,350
    edited 2007-11-01 01:50
    One common "trick" is oversampling and decimation. If you have a slow signal, you can oversample and then decimate the result. About equivalently, you can do a moving average of the ADC signal. If it is a fast signal, then it's is more complicated...
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-11-01 01:51
    Peter is right, of course, but I do not see the situation as black (that is because I LIKE breadboards smile.gif )

Your noise is around 50 uV which is something one should have to live with in many cases. According to your diagram its spectrum seems to be mostly in the kHz area, so it could be easily suppressed by a simple first oder low-pass (10kOhm + 100nF). This can easily be incorporated into your amplifier, if you use an opamp.
  • clemen2clemen2 Posts: 10
    edited 2007-11-01 02:16
    All of this is great info.·

I would note that the noise I am getting looks very similar if battery power is used instead of the PC power supply, so in this case, I don't see the power supply as the big problem.

As for low pass filters what I used was a filter on the input side of the amp- I have included a fig from Analog Devices.· They always say get C1-C3 as close as possible- closer than a breadboard can???· I toyed around with another low pass filter between the amp and the adc chip- so far it has not helped, but I will follow this up.

As far as using a mean or median of a set of readings, that's always an option and as expected it reduces the error but at the cost of speed.· Right now that is how I have it programmed, but I still hope to get a better signal to start with.
    357 x 201 - 14K
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-11-01 12:11
    You do have a 30mV signal that is amplified more than 200 times and wonder where the noise is coming from?

You need:
    digital and analog ground separated
    ground planes
    a good OpAmp (don't know how good yours is)
    filtering of the supply-voltages *very* near to the OpAmp
    Filtering of the input and output (with low-ESR-caps)
    think about where you connect the signal ground
    low noise metal film Rs

You do *not* want a breadboard with long connections that work like antennas.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-11-02 10:32
    Hi

Nick M covered most issues.
    I would also add " Use shielded cable from Load cell to circuit"

cheers

Ron Melbourne OZ
    edited 2007-11-02 10:51
    > I would also add " Use shielded cable from Load cell to circuit"

And you can also add "make an shielding around the OpAmp (HF-case)".

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-11-02 10:56
    Hi Nick

What is this Yadro ??
    Ron Melbourne Oz
  • clemen2clemen2 Posts: 10
    edited 2007-11-02 11:29
    Thanks for all the great input

· I have been looking into making·three layer·PCB with split planes analog and digital power and grounds, maybe a better power source, maybe better components, the load cell cable is already shielded.· I have been working on the artwork for the three layers and I have to admit the ground and power planes really make the design simple.· And I reading up on the do's and don't's of EMI control.· So I am making headway, but how much improvement will I likely see from this?

· Of course that can't be answered directly because you don't know how well I can design and build this multilayer PCB- but has anyone done this with the prop chip and a adc circuit with high amping (200x) and gotten better than +/-·15-20 mV?· If you just look at the spec sheets for the amp and adc I should be to do much better.· But this is the real world.

·
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-11-02 13:22
    You'll have trouble finding anyone who can make a 3-layer board, 2-layer and 4-layer are standard. With careful design a 2-layer board should be OK.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2007-11-02 14:10
    > What is this Yadro ??

It is a link. If you click it, you'll find a description. smile.gif

Back to the OpAmp.
    You also might have a look at reference-designs for ADCs above 12 bits. They'll show you clever layouts and point you what to pay attention for.
    And for the OpAmp, I would look first what LT has to offer. They also do have good appnotes and layout-suggestions.
    And last but not least, I guess a single rail opamp won't do it in this case.

HTH,
    Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO