Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum Searching — Parallax Forums

Forum Searching

HHaysHHays Posts: 15
edited 2007-10-29 18:26 in Propeller 1
After my regular lurking session, I wanted to bring up what I think is an important issue. I am somewhat of a neophyte regarding forums, as this is the only one in 48 years I have joined. On the plus side, I think this may represent a meaningful portion of new propeller users.

To the point - regarding thread (http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=227231), where deSilva questions why the poster has not more effectively utilized the resources of the forum to answer the question before posting. This is quite understandable, as I see many senior posters (my own construct - the ones with knowledge willing to share) repeatedly answering the same questions, albeit of a different shade.

The problem - which may be related to my lack of knowledge of forums - seems to be that the search feature of the current forum software seems to miss what I would think would be many hits. I am familiar in passing with constructing a google query, or dos query, using wildcards, etc. Nevertheless, I don't get the data I was searching for, even though the were likely many postings on the subject in question.

It has been mentioned fairly frequently, that it is preferred to use the google search, search.parallax.com. Most likely it is again my lack of expertise, but this search engine searches all forums, not just the propeller forum. So many results are returned, it is discouraging in itself.

I am convinced, mainly through reverse logic (deSilva would not be questioning why posters have not more thoroughly searched the forum if there was not an effective way to do it), that there is a correct way.

There are a number of people in this forum who are very generous with their time, and who have a lot of knowledge to share. It is understandable that these people might get tired of answering the same queries repeatedly. I must add, that from a beginners standpoint, we think we have searched before posting, but didn't find anything.

So, if it is me, understand it is most likely a lot of people - I can see it in their posts. I, for one appreciate the time taken by those with knowledge. How can this be fixed?

I think this is a crucial issue. Beginners, newbies, whatever, should be able to use conventional search queries and get the information already there without exhausting the more knowledgeable members. What can be done? Can I help?

It is quite possible this issue has been dealt with before, but I wouldn't know.

hh

Post Edited (HHays) : 10/28/2007 10:12:28 PM GMT

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-28 22:16
    I think we need a good FAQ and Getting Started page...

I'm slowly working on this here:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/GettingStarted.htm
    http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/FAQ.htm
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-28 22:51
    Use this link for searching

And keep the inurl:f=25 in there to limit it to the propeller forum.

Also see my index thread in amongst the sticky threads.

Graham
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-29 13:19
    better yet, if you use Firefox, look at this plugin www.foxhollow.ca/propeller/

It searches the Propeller forum only. Right from your search bar. It's a neat tool!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-10-29 14:33
    Hi Graham,

Thanks for your tip, it works OK, and is better than what I was doing before, but it is really not what is needed here as there are problems with it:
    1 The results all come back as "Parallax Forums" in the title. It would be better to list the subject of the thread
    2 It gives multiple iterations of the same threads, some forward, some in reverse order.
    A search function within the forum that works well is really needed.

Just my 10 bits,
    Doug
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-29 16:57
    Yes it could be better, if parallax boffins could find a way to add a drop down menu for forums to the current google search page that took care of those issues it would be fantastic.

Graham
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-10-29 18:26
    hh,

Most of the forum regulars have stated a similar concern somewhere along the way.

Originally, I found it very frustrating to see really good comments and code snippets before I was ready for them and then not be able to find them when I really needed them.

To solve this problem, I maintain my own archive of interesting threads... by saving threads to my hard drive and then I use my operating system's search utilitities.

The problem with this approach is that sometimes a discussion seems so far off my beaten path that I don't think I will ever need it... and then things clear up a little ...and I start to understand the issue and THEN I realize that the most important thread on the topic was lost because I didn't save it and I can't find it.

My solution for this is to search by author, which is always instructive even if I have the wrong author.

I have found that the experts do not mind answering the same question several times. Frequently the answers get better over time. What does get everyone excited is when there is the appearance that questions are being asked as a substitute for study or when a person appears to expect others to write their code for them. Many times, even when that appears to be the case it actually isn't ... frequently there is a language problem (for many, English is a second language... but questions are sometimes written so clearly that one would believe that English is the first language).

The best thing I found: after checking my brain, searching my archive, looking in Graham's good thread index, and searching the forum... I just ask for a good link. And the links rain down... like pennies from heaven. (I used to think that pennies from heaven wasn't such a good idea, but thanks to MythBusters I now realize that the terminal velocity of a penny limits the total damage to little more than a bruise[noparse]:)[/noparse]

The really great thing about the forum is that you end up learning more than you thought you needed to know about things that you didn't know existed from people, who are incredibly enjoyable to read.

Rich