Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA on your breadboard propeller. — Parallax Forums

VGA on your breadboard propeller.

James NewmanJames Newman Posts: 133
edited 2007-10-26 04:20 in Propeller 1
I bought the education kit, and lately I've been wanting to use video and keybaord... are there any db15hd and ps/2 connectors that fit on a breadboard on the site? I can't seem to find any, but I found these: www.winfordeng.com/products/pbc15hd.php

Any better ideas anyone?

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-26 00:44
    Why not use the SpinStudio configuration?
    ucontroller.com/cookbookexcerpt.pdf

Then you can use these...
    ucontroller.com

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-26 00:51
    What are the two holes on all those boards for?
  • James NewmanJames Newman Posts: 133
    edited 2007-10-26 00:54
    They look like simple mount holes, so you can mount them to a case or something.

I do like the spin studio thing... think I might use that if my boss has me build a control for our break press. For now, think I've decided on getting a thingy from here: www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/index.php?cPath=38
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-26 00:56
    James: I'd have to recommend getting a Proto Board and the accessory kit... (or just get the Proto board and the Norcomp connector somewhere else).

I was just looking around a day ago for a HD DB15 connector with standard breadboard spacing, but couldn't find anything...
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-26 03:48
    Rayman said...
    James: I'd have to recommend getting a Proto Board and the accessory kit... (or just get the Proto board and the Norcomp connector somewhere else).

I was just looking around a day ago for a HD DB15 connector with standard breadboard spacing, but couldn't find anything...
    I have the breadboard and the accessory kit. They don't work together directly, but are very simple if you wire wrap the normal solder leads.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-26 04:20
    My SpinStudio VGA adapter can be used in a solderless breadboard as well. When you assemble it, you can use a single row male pin header instead of the double row 20 pin connector that comes with the kit. If you look at the diagram of the SpinStudio connector, you'll see the 8 I/0 pins are right in a row, there's 1 blank pin, then VSS.

Plug it into the solderless breadboard, then use jumper wires to jumper the IO lines to the appropriate pins on the Propeller and VSS.

If you wanted to explore this option, I'd be willing to write more explicit instructions on how to plug it in and wire it. It might sound difficult but in reality it would be quite easy. Easier in fact than the adapters that you provided a link to.

The same theory can be used to connect the Audio/Video boards that I offer to a solderless breadboard. That would provide an easy way to add Composite video and Sound to the PE kit or any other breadboarded Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio