Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller program diagrams — Parallax Forums

propeller program diagrams

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-10-27 08:44 in Propeller 1
I'm trying to make some major changes to one of my programs and was sketching out the structure in terms of what was in the hub ram and what was in each cog. It struck me that some sort of general format might be useful

Attached is far from perfect but I thought it could be a talking point, I've sketched out some of the graphics demo. I wanted to show that the spin parts of each object (mouse graphics and TV reside in the first cog and the assembly is running in the other cogs communicating via hub ram and possible outputtin to the IO. I've drawn that twice so it doesn't get too messy.

I'm sure people will have much better ideas for ways to plan propeller programs but I thought I would set the ball rolling.

Graham
1200 x 885 - 71K

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-26 01:11
    Hey Graham...provide that as a blank PDF without the writing all over it. Might be good for keeping notes while programming.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-26 09:36
    Another "why didn't _I_ think of that" moment! That looks excellent Graham.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-26 09:59
    Ken, will do of course but I'm sure improvements can be made first.

I sketched out my program last night, I found there is no point trying to document every single variable, there is just no need nor the space instead it works better to put the most important ones or clump them together as a block, whatever it takes for it to make sense.

Graham
    edited 2007-10-26 10:00
    Here is version one, print out page 1 only, for some reason my pdf printer likes to attach an extra page.

Graham
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2007-10-26 10:40
    simonl said...
    Another "why didn't _I_ think of that" moment! That looks excellent Graham.

That is true! Why not earlier?

Follow the link at "propeller programming aids

cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1181572927203_421963583_5511&partName=htmltext
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-26 23:44
    Wow...that's almost exactly the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-10-26 23:52
    It would be nice if there was a utility that could generate such graphs from the uncompiled code.
    edited 2007-10-26 23:55
    Rich,

I think they would be too dense to be useful. Imagine all those TV parameters for example, besides once you have written the program the diagram is less needed.

ErNa,

Did that already exist? I don't remember seeing it but perhaps I did and subconsiously remembered it though the idea of representing objects spanning cogs is something I have been thinking about representing diagramatically for a long time.

Why do you have so many P0s ?

Graham
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-10-27 00:17
    Graham,

You make a very good point.

It could be done very compactly by generating a PostScript file, but I am sure there are better options. The other limitation to generating such diagrams is that one would need a dynamic display and not a static image.

I am trying for a completely holistic understanding of the Prop, but the final synthesis is in my future. I think I am like other hackers. I tend to use objects by looking for hack points, and I tend to be completely oblivious to the number of cogs I am using.

I think your diagram is useful because it reminds us that we need to be constantly aware of cog usage. Now we can just print out your diagram and make note of what we are doing. (Simple things do have such power[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Your approach would be a useful standard in the online documentation of objects... and in teaching files.

Rich
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2007-10-27 08:44
    Graham Stabler said...

ErNa,

Did that already exist?
    Why do you have so many P0s ?

Graham
    No, it didn't exist, I just took your proposal and created a concept map with a few clicks. I just was to lazy to enumerate the pins, created them with copy and paste.

The server created a HTML-page, when you access the map via a brower. If You install the cmap-client and log in, you have full access to the map, you can create own ones and use all features.

This suite has the intention to support collaboration and create knowledge pools. I alway wonder, why this technique is not used by those, who reach the limit of mindmaps.