Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra SD card — Parallax Forums

Hydra SD card

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2008-01-15 09:43 in Propeller 1
Hi Andre'

What's the pins for your Hydra's SD card?

Post Edited (Baggers) : 10/24/2007 4:17:26 PM GMT

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-10-29 03:58
    It just uses the IO pins on the expansion port, I haven't locked them down, and I may even put some jumpers on there, so you can change them, but it will use some subset of IO0..7, and power of course.

Andre'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-10-29 08:20
    Andre'

You won't be able to have my hicolour videos playing on hydra as they use the PropGFX add on, which uses the expansion port.

Your card should be able to play the Hydra palette'd video's though, like the oxygene demo.

Baggers.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-29 11:52
    I've been wondering lately if there wouldn't be a way to stack the SD card with the NES controllers.

You'd have to create some type of pass-through for both NES controllers to get the four required data
    lines, but Vss and Vdd would already be in place.

Thinking about this a little more, does a COG take exclusive control of an I/O pin to run both at once?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-10-29 12:01
    No, you wouldn't be able to control outputs with multiple cogs, as the values would be or'd together.
    It'd be one or the other,· meaning SD or nespad.
    ·
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-10-29 18:56
    Well, not necessarily, you just need to synchronize your access to the NES controller and the SD card, that's all. Just don't talk to one while you're talking to the other, thus, create a simple NES/SD driver on the SAME COG for example, and at the top of the SD loop when its idle make sure to keep checking the controller and then stuff the results in a global, done. Just make sure you read the NES at least 30-60 times a second.

Andre'
    edited 2007-10-29 20:06
    Ah, ok, not sure, as I've only taken up electronics in the last two years, but just thought that while messing with the pins reading the NES, it might have interfered with the SD. but hey, I'm no electronics expert [noparse]:)[/noparse] just software. lol
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-01-14 21:15
    Baggers,

Which pins does the Hybrid use for the SD card ?
    Do you have any software for loading/saving on the card...
    I got an SD holder and I'm going to try and solder it down on the Experimenter card...

I really don't know much about the SD card or how to hook it up so I'm going to do some research later tonight...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-14 21:20
    Have a look at FemtoBasic. There's a version for the Hydra and the connections for the SD card are described in the documentation.
    edited 2008-01-14 21:24
    Bamse,

The Hybrid uses pins 8,9,10,11, but the Hydra isn't pin compatible with Hybrid.

Although you'd probably be better to wait and see what pins Andre's using, so you'll have pin compatibility with his stuff too [noparse];)[/noparse]

Jim.

PS, there's Oldbitcollector's Cookbook for great info on SD cards.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=665736
  • RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
    edited 2008-01-14 21:48
    Maybe there should be a sticky thread about the SD card connectors, so everyone connects them in the same way...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Unterwelt (My first game for the HYDRA):
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=696204

Hydra in a LEGO NES:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=654788
    edited 2008-01-14 21:58
    Let me check out FemtoBasic, that should get me started...

I'm not too worried about being pin compatible with the Hydra SD card reader, that can be changed later...
    Just want to test it out and see if I can get it to work, if not I'll get Hydra SD card reader...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-14 21:58
    That's why I said for him to wait for Andre' to give his details, so people can at least have all Hydra's with same pinouts.
    edited 2008-01-14 22:15
    Don't worry, "I love the smell of a hot soldering iron in the morning..." so to say...

I'll leave some extra slack on my wires so they can be re-routed if necessary... scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-14 22:15
    have fun [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-01-14 22:46
    Here we go,

In the case of the Hydra, you'll have to use a memory expansion or I/O expansion card and wire up a cable (I used the two ends of a 3-pin servo cable and cut it in half) with +3.3V-33VCC, Gnd-Gnd, DO-I/O_0, Clk-I/O_1, DI-I/O_2, CS-I/O_3.

On the SD card, there are two ground pins, 3 and 6, I'm assuming that I'll connect both to GND...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-15 04:17
    FemtoBasic works great with the SD card... tongue.gif
    It's pretty cool that you can save and load files...

See if I can find a boot loader in the Propeller forum... scool.gif

I saved some slack on the wires so it looks pretty "home made" with wires sticking out on the side... tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    600 x 800 - 82K
    875 x 812 - 82K
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-15 04:29
    FemtoBasic has a boot from SD card call that's part of the I2C / SPI routines in sdspiFemto.spin. You use Rokicki's FAT file system routines (in fsrwFemto.spin) to look up the named file, then save the SD card address and file length for use with the boot routine.

The boot routine takes a starting sector number on the SD card and a file length (in bytes). The boot routine can't handle multiple file extents, so you'll need to format the SD card with 32K clusters.
    edited 2008-01-15 04:47
    I found this thread,
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=33&m=230231
    The boot menu is working great and it is the sdspiFemto.spin driver...

Loading up with 3DMM, Frogger, Jetpack, Mercury mission, Dodgy Kong, Planetary defense etc...
    Got some more testing to do, but so far so good...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-15 09:43
    Great, job well done, and welcome to the world of Prop + SD [noparse]:D[/noparse]