Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PicoScope 3224 Oscilloscope — Parallax Forums

PicoScope 3224 Oscilloscope

JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
edited 2008-03-05 22:29 in Propeller 1
Chaps,

Any thoughts on this - http://www.picotech.com/pc-scope.html·??

Looking at it for use debugging from the Propeller.· Ideally i'd like to be able to capture Video, 115,200baud serial, i2c, general i/o etc

The only issue I can see (not being very "up" on O-scopes) is that at 20ms/s (million samples per/sec) then 512ks (1000' samples) is not long....

Thanks,

James

Comments

• Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-10-24 10:37
    Hmmm ...
    If you want to debug a µC, it's mostly logic. So a LogicAnalyzer would be best.
    I have heared the highest praises for the Logicport from Intronix. Even from people that do have a "real" one, because they like the size and fast setup. But I don't have one (yet).
    Albeit, no analog signals. Get a crappy CRT-scope for that.

Edit:
    Oh my good! For that price and the low bandwidth, I'd really buy a real scope with a real CRT. And who needs 12 bits on a scope?

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO

Post Edited (Nick Mueller) : 10/24/2007 10:42:35 AM GMT
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2007-10-24 10:43
    Sadly not a budget for two devices.

Analog would be good - as some of my useages of it would involve ADC type inputs

J
    edited 2007-10-24 12:18
    hmm - this is good - http://www.picotech.com/applications/oscilloscope_tutorial.html

Now really looking at the 3204 - trading higher mhz and sampling capability for less acuracy. (8bit's rather than 12bits)

J
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-24 13:53
    Consider that bandwidth with "digital" devices is always to be taken with caution:
    When it says 20 MS/s it is meant for a one-chanel -operation only. You will most like ALWAYS need two, that makes it 10 MS.
    Bit this is digital, allowing you to capture digital pulses of 200 ns length with an unclear shape. True analogue signals can be assesses not above 1 MHz!

When your appilcation is as dscribed 100 kHz to 400 kHz, this is absolutely fine; however you should be able to find suitable equipment for that below $200
    edited 2007-10-24 13:54
    OK, if you need Analog, be aware of their "bandwidth bloat".
    What counts more are samples/second. The highest *halfway* readable frequency is 1/10 of the sampling rate. So a scope with 20MHz bandwidth and 40Ms/s can only display about 4MHz. Even then, overshots etc. will mostly be missing.

And again, you really don't need 12 Bits, especially if you are on a low budget. (I "only" have a 8bit Tek DSO).

If you are happy with low frequencies, maybe even a soundcard scope might work. Or a Propeller-Scope!? Leaving you money for a USB logic analizer or Propellers to toast. smile.gif

Others may have a different opinion.

Nick. No, no LeCroy here!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2007-10-24 16:43
    Nick,

Except for the video requirements, often a lot cost unit like the one below provides enough options.

http://www.circuit-ed.com/PoScope-Basic-USB-OscilloscopeLogic-Analyzer-P97C5.aspx

Oscilloscope
    Spectrum Analyzer
    Chart Recorder
    Logic Analyzer/Generator
    Reading Modes
    About The Knob
    Filters
    Sounds
    Statistics
    Protocol Analysis Overview
    UART Protocol Analysis
    SPI Protocol Analysis
    I2C Protocol Analysis
    1-Wire Protocol Analysis

sample rate

100 Hz … 200 kHz
    - memory depth

PoScope Basic USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer

SKU: 7005
    PRICE: 195.00

- buffer reading:

1126 sample/channel (1 channel), 563 sample/channel (2 channels)
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-10-24 17:29
    I am currious, as Bob just noted, take video as the target signal. What would people recommend for an oscilloscope? I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars but I sure would like to have one again. Something small to make storage easier would be best. smilewinkgrin.gif

Raymon mentioned·on another thread that his company found 54 LeCroy scopes for free on some goverment surplus site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BioProp: Robotics - Powered by Bioloids and controlled by the Propeller
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-24 17:34
    My knowledge is limited to the German market...
    But when looking through the internet some monthes ago I dicovered this highly interesting Australian link for high(er) quality/low(er) cost products:
    www.bitscope.com/
    edited 2007-10-24 19:54
    > I2C Protocol Analysis
    > sample rate 100 Hz … 200 kHz

Umm ... so how can one look at the I2C's signals at the Props 400kHz?
    Or the required 115000 Baud?

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-10-24 21:46
    You could also have a look at these:

http://www.dynoninstruments.com/index.php

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-10-24 23:27
    I have a Bitscope (and I reviewed them for Robot Magazine in the Summer Issue). The scope has been perfect for everything I needed to test while working on my electronic projects. I haven't hooked it up to a video signal - yet. The Bitscope is not just an oscilloscope it is also a logic analyzer and a function generator. They have a couple versions depending on what your needs are. If you can afford a few extra dollars, I recommend Bit Scope.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
    edited 2007-10-25 07:12
    All,

thanks for the input - looking into it and reading the advice given i've slightly blown the budget but ordered a pico-scope 3205 - dual channel, sig gen (limited), triggers, 100mhz, 100ms/s, 512k samples.

Other scope's suggested were either out of price range, or didn't have the features (mainly capture memory) that the pico-scope had!

cheers,

James
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2007-10-25 21:06
    Have you considered Viewport?
    It uses your Propeller to sample all 32 IO pins at up to 80million samples/second.
    Data is sent to the PC where you have a traditional Logic Analyzer interface.
    Best of all for Propeller-based projects, you don't have to connect any wires- since the sampling is done at the IO port!

Have a look at the forum discussion or see what other people are doing with Viewport:
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=209676
    http://mydancebot.com/products/viewport/applications

V1.2 is still free, the next one features:
    - 8 bit analog input up to 40million samples/second or slower for up to 8 channels
    - Advanced trigger modes
    - Video input- full frame rate, 320x240 into memory and to the pc
    - Fuzzy logic engine to support intelligent Propeller applications

Hanno
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2007-10-26 00:05
    I have a Velleman PCSU1000 scope. I think it has better specs for less money. It connects and gets its power from USB.

Two channels @ 60MHz, with great software. Comes with two 60MHz probes.

See the attached pic.

Jim
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,255
    edited 2007-10-26 04:27
    Hi,

Since I am more of a unix geek, could someone give me some advice on how to get .net framework downloaded and running so I can run Gear and ViewPort1.2?

Thanks,
    Doug
  • DomDom Posts: 3
    edited 2008-03-05 22:29
    About not too crappy analog scopes:
    Tektronix 2246 and Hitachi V1100A are not too bad. Four channels 100MHz with 2 channels offering full settings (5mV/div to 5V/div) and 2 with 0.1 and 0.5V/div, good for logic levels with a 1:10 probe.
    Possible to find some on Ebay, which DO even work, and for a few 100s US$ / €
    Oh BTW _always_ use a 1:10 probe for high frequency signals...

regds to all,
    Dom