Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Webring? — Parallax Forums

Propeller Webring?

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-11-07 20:12 in Propeller 1
I have noted that most other MicroControllers have "Web Rings" should we look into linking all the 3rd party, Propeller related websites into a similar ring?

Not to be like the other guys, but just to have easier access to information that exists out there. I know of a few different sites right now off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more out there that I might have missed. And people that don't read the forums daily might miss references to sites featuring cool Propeller stuff.

Off the top of my head, I can think of....

www.andrewarsenault.com/hss/hmedia.html
code.google.com/p/proptcp/
propeller.wikispaces.com/
www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl
uController.com
www.wulfden.org/PRC/
hittconsulting.com/

These sites cover anything from software for the propeller, alternative forums, users Propeller related projects and Hardware for sale.

I know I'm leaving quite a few out, but that's the point. If they were organized into some sort of ring, or indexed in one central location. We would all get to see some things we've missed, and new users don't have to spend days/weeks sifting through thousands of Forum posts to dig up these nuggets.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

Comments

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2007-10-25 06:35
    Anybody here to download cmap tools, a very good peace of software from floride, US? May compensate some marshmellow code from Redmond. Just to test, what can be done?

cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1181572927203_421963583_5511&partName=htmltext

I made a link entry according to part-mans's proposal.

Post Edited (ErNa) : 10/25/2007 9:44:53 AM GMT
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-25 13:42
    That's a neat site, how do you add to that? It appears only those with access can modify it, which is good, and possibly bad, as it's growth will be stunted without constant maintenance.

In that regard, I like the Wiki concept. Where anyone can edit the content (although changes can be un-done by an administrator) I think the content would evolve faster.

Perhaps we could add a page on the existing Propeller Wiki and list all pertinent websites, and categorize them by content (Hardware suppliers, Code (examples and projects), other forums, etc)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

edited 2007-10-25 13:59
    If You take a look at: cmap.ihmc.us/, You can see, what concept mapping is. And IHMC developed this instrument, that is free for noncommercial use. It is intended to support education and to create knowledge maps. I find this tool very helpfull, even if not perfect. Just for starting, it should be sufficient, to use this public server. If this technique is accepted und more heavily used, we will see, what will happen.
    Anyway, it is alway possible to kept a copy of the map locally, therefore, the tool makes sense, even if You use it only as a fully linkable bookmarking instrument.
    So, try to download the java program and I will publish the login data.

You have to select in the download area:

* Individual use (non commercial)

Post Edited (ErNa) : 10/25/2007 2:51:43 PM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-10-25 18:55
    I like the concept of a web ring... it lets everyone manage their own content. I love the concept map idea as well. Possibly a mixture of the two?
    On the concept idea... one of the best concepts around is Graham's "Good Threads Index." One way to keep the forum organized is for everyone to try and see if their topics will fit into one of the "Good Threads."
    edited 2007-10-25 19:08
    An advantage of cmaptools is, that collaboration is integrated. You work on your map, you are asked, if someone can enter, and if you agree, you both see the same screen, where you work in parallel. Also a chat window opens.

A a certain state, maps will be called "knowledge maps" and can be a source of information for everyone.

And you can find informations, using different links, for everything can be linked to everything. HTML gives only a limited feeling of the abilities of that system. It's not perfect, but the best I know.

Like the propeller: simple, low threshold, high ceiling! Science, not only for scientists!
    edited 2007-10-25 23:13
    rjo said...
    one of the best concepts around is Graham's "Good Threads Index."

I agree completely, but that appears to be strictly for forum posts of interest. I was thinking the same thing, but for the entire internet, anything Propeller related.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-10-25 23:21
    if you would like I can add a section for web links, I left some empty posts just for that sort of development.

Graham
    edited 2007-10-27 04:22
    Graham,

I think that'd be great, but we need people to start brainstorming and listing all the Propeller related websites, perhaps even a directory of all known you-tube videos involving the Propeller. I know there's quite a few.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-10-27 08:17
    Hi Guys,

This is a great Idea, I love the web rings out there, great for finding little snippets of information.
    Whatever way you decide to go count me in, I haven't done the main PropGFX website just yet so it will be easy for me to add stuff like this.

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-10-27 09:14
    I just created a concept that links together videos from you-tube an inserted two links.

cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1181572927203_421963583_5511&partName=htmltext

So, it is really simple, but it seems, the threshold is not yet low enough. ;->
    edited 2007-10-27 18:59
    Some additional entries to the list. I also created a subdirectory to show, that it is simple, to keep entries in different list.

edited 2007-11-01 14:10
    ErNa said...
    Some additional entries to the list. I also created a subdirectory to show, that it is simple, to keep entries in different list.

I've been watching the cmaptools evolve lately, thank you for the hard work that must have gone into that. While browsing I found a few things I had never saw before. I like how it's visually organized too. Great idea.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter
    edited 2007-11-01 15:46
    I just added a link to a map, that shows a rough way to doc an existing application and a next, more modular version.

• CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-11-01 21:26
    I've created a new page on the Propeller wiki for links to other Propeller sites. How about bookmarking this page and using it for your jumping off point into the Propeller world. Feel free to edit the paga and add any more sites, or to improve on the titles or the descriptions of the ones that are there.

propeller.wikispaces.com/Links+to+other+sites+related+to+the+Propeller+

Perhaps this can do the job of a web ring without starting a new site?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
    edited 2007-11-01 21:39
    According to my experience, wiki's are the best solution. After CMaps wink.gif I tried a lot of technologies, but cmaps come the closest to what is really needed. If You once use it, you will start to organize your desktop, ..., everything with the same tool.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-11-04 19:54
    Here's another site for your list:

The Orrville Microcontroller Interest Group
    www.orrtech.net/tomig/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-11-04 21:02
    That's another idea for a catagory. A list of current clubs.

If they all have pages like the Orrvillle group, one could learn a bit from the current projects that other clubs are doing. It may give someone inspiration/ideas to start their own club!

Jeff, I hope to see some pictures from some of your meetings, photos of people with their projects, robots and/or generally using Parallax products. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-11-05 06:20
    That CMAPS thingy is bad news IMHO. For example I jumped over to the proptcp page from the map, it never gave me the real URL of the destination page greedily hanging on to my browser when I clicked on the google code homepage logo for-example. It even broke the google search, but I'm pretty sure it was "phoning home" everything I was doing. I'm very uncomfortable with such intrusive "Web 2.0" applications.

David
    edited 2007-11-05 06:37
    @David: Cmap is not a Web.2 application, but what you see is just an image of the cmap. This tool heps you to visualise objects and their relations. That is all, but with this concept, you can do everything. Imagine to have a mindmapping tool, that can support working in parallel over the net on the same document. That would only give a part of the possibilities, you have with this tool. Much to my regret, it is not open software. That would make some things more simple. But in one way, there is a parallel to the propeller: one can really work in parallel on a single object, having some tools to synchronize access. Please, don't be so fussy!
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-11-05 18:42
    The current prop Cmap does look like it's discovering an elephant by touch. I'd like to see a Cmap that starts off with a duplication of Graham Stabler's categorizations.
    edited 2007-11-05 18:51
    Yes, this cmap is just a agglomeration of different items. Obviously nobody looked to IHMC and downloaded the software. This cmap (and all others) are intended to be shared and modified by all, like a wiki. No one will be able to track all items alone and update everything. But, as we often see: some questions are asked again and again and the answers are hidden in long, long threads, difficult to follow.
    edited 2007-11-05 19:13
    ErNa said...
    some questions are asked again and again and the answers are hidden in long, long threads, difficult to follow.

Exactly, I never fault a new user that asks a question that's been asked before for just that reason. The forum's built in search feature only confounds the problem. I know the right way to search the forums (search.parallax.com) but new users to the forum don't know that method yet.

That's one reason I am attempting to compile a collection of Propeller Tutorials on my website. I have plenty of bandwidth so I don't mind at all hosting any or all tutorials that anyone would like to contribute.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter
    edited 2007-11-05 19:35
    Wouldn't a simple webring like the one I've added to the club webpage work?
    www.orrtech.net/tomig

If everyone agreed on the same software (whatever is used) this would be a neat way to
    dump traffic on each other..

Feasible?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2007-11-05 20:51
    Oldbitcollector said...

Feasible?

Yes!
    joined just now.

Andy
    edited 2007-11-05 23:34
    Added!

Comon gang, let's get everyone in one place so we can jump easily from site to site.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-11-05 23:37
    Here Hear.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-11-06 01:33
    Ok my bit ...

www.igniteautomation.com/easyprop.html
    www.igniteautomation.com/propbus.html
    www.igniteautomation.com/hybrid.html
    and
    www.igniteautomation.com/forums

Rgds,
    John twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2007-11-06 21:23
    Great!

I'll add my site as soon as I get any REAL Propeller content there...
    (The only Webring my site is a member of at the moment is the 'Obsolete Computer collectors' ring, which I also maintain)

The nice thing about webrings is that if you find that you can no longer maintain it, you can put it up for 'adoption' and hand the ownership over to someone else. Also, the system allows for a 'forced' adoption process if an administrator no longer responds to tasks that needs doing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2007-11-06 21:47
    I'm adding ucontroller.com tonight to the ring. Last night was the wife's birthday, I felt it necessary to ignore anything to do with computers and Propellers for the night.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

SD card Adapter