Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool Error Message with Vista-64 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool Error Message with Vista-64

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2007-10-23 19:21 in Propeller 1
I get this error message (attached) every time I start the Prop Tool on my Windows Vista-64 machine.· Don't have this problem on any other machines...· I think it's either due to being Vista, or the empty card reader or possibly both.· Anybody else get error messages like this?· I get other errors too, but this is the most annoying one...
455 x 182 - 30K

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-10-23 16:45
    It's a problem with windows, but not specifically with vista. Windows doesn't know if a card is in a card reader so it tells programs they are mounted until there is an attempt to access them. This is not a hard error, either unplug your card reader or just ignore it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-23 16:55
    Ok. I've been ignoring it for a while...

But, you might consider fixing it because it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence when the first thing you see when firing up the tool is an error message!
    edited 2007-10-23 16:58
    Maybe you could use "Try" & "Catch" (assuming C++)...
    edited 2007-10-23 17:43
    It again is a microsoft error, the directory explorer widget relies directly upon microsoft API calls, it is the microsoft API that causes the error. The way the explorer populates a directory tree is to explore the first level paths for drives, for unmounted drives which have no means to report back to windows it is unmounted this causes an error, since this is an encapsulated functionality of the widget we do not have control over the behavior of it unless we rewrote the entire API layer (and widget).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 10/23/2007 5:55:43 PM GMT
    edited 2007-10-23 17:58
    Ok. Still, I program a lot in MFC and often use the MS API and never got this error. So, I'd guess it's your widget that's the issue...
    edited 2007-10-23 18:23
    Possibly, we use Delphi for the IDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2007-10-23 19:21
    Rayman,

I got a similar error with XP. I solved the symptom by plugging in an SD card to an empty card slot on the USB bus.

You might try that if you have that kind of slot.

I think the problem may be the HID type in the device definition. Somehow, Windows thinks the IDE is a system drive.

Food for thought.

Jim