Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB help. — Parallax Forums

USB help.

RicardoPRicardoP Posts: 13
edited 2007-10-23 20:33 in Propeller 1
Well I'm working on a rather complex project and I hope I can explain it clearly enough to get some help. I'm posting this here since I would love to use the properller for this, I've been working with it for a bit now and I've gotten familiar with it.

So I have a USB host and a device to go with it. The device is very similar to a HID device. They are both closed systems (the host is not a PC) that I can't modify in any way. They communicate with each other via a full speed USB connection. What I would like to do is create a software bridge between the two. When the host initiates a query to the device, I would like to analyze the request and take one of two actions based on if this is a packet 'of interest':

a) Simply pass the packet along to the device, then read device reply and pass that to the host. This is the 90% case where the packet is of no interest.
b) Create my own packet using logic in the properller and send that as a response and never asking the device for a reply. I could have 1 cog creating responses ahead of time.

Previous attempts to get some help with this yielded the following responses:

a) You can't do that.
-- Well, I know it is possible, because there are other such devices on the market, unfortunately they do not offer some functionality that I need.

b) There isn't enough time to modify the data on the line.
-- Isn't time relative to the speed of the processor you are working with? Isn't the propeller fast enough to do this?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-23 04:19
    USB 1.1 is a roughly 12MHz serial bus. The Propeller executes 20 MIPS per cog. That's slightly over one instruction per bit time. You're not going to do much in that time. Using something like the MAX3421E for the host and peripheral interface would help a lot. The Propeller could look in the peripheral controller's buffer to see if the packet were of interest, then copy the packet to the host controller's buffer for transmission. The endpoints are double buffered so the transfers can be overlapped with the USB traffic making up partially for the need for the SPI transfer through the Propeller. The SPI transfer can be done using one of the cog timers for clock generation and the data could be transferred in short bursts at perhaps 5Mbps at best.

The Propeller can synchronize multiple cogs for high rate VGA generation. The same technique might be doable for higher rates of data transfers. It's not easy to do and I don't recommend it. You might look into the SX processor. It has a higher raw execution rate, particularly where only byte or bit data is handled and the processing involved is very simple. An SX-28AC and two MAX3421E should be able to do what you want.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2007-10-23 05:31
    You are going to have a very hard time doing what you want to do.
    Mike is absolutely right about the timings, and time available, but don't forget you have at most 7 bit times after the host EOP until the device starts sending its reply.
    You have to analyse the request in that time, switch the lines and start your own reply. If you are late, you will cut the device off mid reply (and it'll probably be upset about that)

Not saying it can't be done, but I've had a couple of goes at doing full speed USB on the propeller, and the timing requirements just outstrip the capabilities of the device.
    It's not just the on-the-wire stuff, but also the protocol handling and generation. I'm struggling to do low-speed within the requirements of the spec.

Oh, yeah, you will also need to properly ACK the reply that the device sends also, even if it goes off into never never land.

Time is tight!
  • RicardoPRicardoP Posts: 13
    edited 2007-10-23 07:55
    Thanks a lot for the replies!

Mike, I'm afraid I'm more of a software guy =) I'm not sure I can put together a PCB with 2xMAX3421E and a SX-28AC and the rest of the hardware together. But I did do a bit of digging around and came across this http://www.crownhill.co.uk/product.php?prod=1590, do you think I can hook this up to a propeller demo board? It has 2x USB ports which is what I need ... assuming the port usage is not exclusive of one another. Then again, you said the propeller might not be fast enough ... when are we getting the 160 MIPS propeller? =) I bet the whole thing could be done in software then!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-23 10:53
    The product you mentioned is made by GHI Electronics and is also sold by them directly. GHI has their own support forum and make some nice USB host products. I suggest you browse their website (www.ghielectronics.com). This board has two different USB connectors in parallel, not two USB ports. You do need two of them.

Two of the MAX3421E OEM boards and an SX-48AC Protoboard would only need some hooking together (the SX-48 has twice as much memory as the SX-28 and would make things easier). You'll need the programming key and TTL oscillator (and try the 50MHz resonator as well ... that may or may not be fast enough) as well as downloading the software and "how to" guides.

If the overall (throughput) speed isn't that critical, the Propeller may be easier to use than the SX. Just substitute a Propeller Protoboard for the SX-48 one. You might as well get the Accessory Kit which will let you use a VGA monitor for a status display to help with debugging.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 10/23/2007 11:00:05 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-10-23 10:58
    I wonder if your devices would fall back to low-speed mode... This is only 1.5 Mbit/s. If it is a HID, you probably don't need full speed, right? Then, maybe you could put the Prop in between them...
    edited 2007-10-23 17:57
    Another reason I like working with this chip, everyone on this forum is so helpful and awesome!

Mike I wish I had the skills to put together what you propose, even if it is simple I neither have the skills nor the equipment to do it. I will need to find a ready made solution (I'm talking hardware hookups I can figure out the software) or pay somebody to do it for me, know anyone? =)

Rayman, it is possible it would run at low speed but I would prefer if it worked at full speed as it was designed.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2007-10-23 20:21
    I've not seen a full-speed device that ever supported low speed. It's either one or the other.

full-speed support is mandatory for hosts, so there is no sense in any kind of fallback for the devices. A low-speed only host would violate the spec badly.

Easy enough to tell what your device is, just measure the polarity on the bus. Low speed will be D- +ve and D+ -ve
    and full-speed will be the inverse.

This varies with data transmission, but most meters will average it out nicely. You should see close to 0-250mv on the -ve and up around 2.7-3.0v on the +ve (rough and ready empirical measurement)
    edited 2007-10-23 20:33
    I checked and the device is full speed.