Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
serial communication between 2 proto boards — Parallax Forums

serial communication between 2 proto boards

Matt WMatt W Posts: 2
edited 2007-10-22 13:20 in Propeller 1
I am truly a beginner with most of this, but have so far managed to figure out most of it on my own, but now I'm stuck.

I have 2 propeller proto boards that I am trying to get to talk to each other. I have the number 7 pins directly connected to each other with a 1k resistor inline. I've tested that the pins are working. I've attached the .spin files I start up on each then I watch the debug output, it just doesn't seem like anything is getting through. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-21 23:27
    Don't know if this info helps you any, but I have a board with 2 Propellers.

I use FullDuplexSerial running at 115200 baud. Uses two wires/traces; tx1 to rx2 and tx2 to rx1. I've NOT tried to run half-duplex (one wire), so can't help.

I note your .spin files are 0 KB in size. Seems strange to have no size.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,686
    edited 2007-10-22 00:43
    I have never used BS2_Functions.spin so far.
    But I think you have to send a CR after the decimal value, because the DEBUGIN_DEC expects this CR as end-character for the decimal value.

Andy
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-22 01:58
    You say you have the P7 pins connected together. You DO have the grounds connected as well, don't you? I know it's a stupid question if you're an electrical engineer, but not so obvious to some.

BTW @ Ariba: What are you talking about? confused.gif Matt W is talking about connecting two propellers together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 10/22/2007 2:06:24 AM GMT
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-10-22 02:15
    Ken Peterson said...
    BTW @ Ariba: What are you talking about? confused.gif Matt W is talking about connecting two propellers together.

The test programs use BS2 functions; one sends a number as a decimal string, reads a number as a decimal string, and without sending a CR I'd not expect it to work either, but I haven't checked the BS2 library.
  • Matt WMatt W Posts: 2
    edited 2007-10-22 05:24
    Ken Peterson said...
    You say you have the P7 pins connected together. You DO have the grounds connected as well, don't you? I know it's a stupid question if you're an electrical engineer, but not so obvious to some.

Hi Ken - I'm certainly no electrical engineer - where would i have the grounds connected to?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-22 09:01
    Matt,

You just need to make sure that GND on one board is connected to GND on the other.

The reason for connecting GNDs together (I think) is that then both boards have a common reference for voltages. (But I'm no electrical engineer either, so I'm probably explaining it wrong!).

Hope that doesn't confuse further!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-22 13:20
    I just had an idea when I read the title of this thread.

Might it be possible to connect 2 proto boards together using the programming headers? make a special crossover cable, connect VSS to VSS, RX to TX and TX to RX. Leave the resets disconnected.

It would allow you to use a couple of pins that normally go unused. Instead of using P7 like you are now.

Sorry, it's not a solution for your problem, but like I said, the idea popped into my head with I read the title of this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio