Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
s/w for SD card? — Parallax Forums

s/w for SD card?

HarleyHarley Posts: 997
edited 2007-10-21 21:45 in Propeller 1
Received a SD card adapter (thanks Brian for the quick service and module) and, even though presently occupied with a project, I'm looking ahead and am wondering what I need to utilize SD memory cards.

In the Object Exchange, I didn't see any SPI driver. Would it be under a different name?

I'd like to start with a ProtoBoard and i/f to TV monitor for display. I have Parallax keyboard and mouse and the PB adapter kit. I presently do not have a VGA monitor.

Not having paid attention to SD mentioned on the forum, I'm not sure where to begin (yeah, "at the beginning!"). Did a search on Search Parallax and some 2700 references for SPI didn't look promising for the first 20 or so.

I suppose some sort of 'operating system' is needed to see DIRectory and utilize/select various files from a SD. Initially I'd like to have some games, some sound files, and possibly even access to other apps from the SD (is that even possible?).

I note from Wikipedia there are quite a number of SD card capacities and even sized (mini and micro). What would a good capacity to purchase? Appear to run about $10+/GB. But have no idea what capacity SPI drivers for the Propeller can handle. Read that the higher density cards are not compatible with lower density drivers. World is full of incompatibilities!

Can someone point me to references which can help make a decision as how to proceed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Harley Shanko

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-21 21:45
    Here's the object for it:
    obex.parallax.com/objects/92/

And here is something using that object: (PropDOS)
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=683157

Good purchase! I use several 32MB cards, (plenty of room at present) but am considering a
    1Gig card just to see if I can even come close to filling it up. [noparse]:)[/noparse] *Doubtful*

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 10/21/2007 11:27:45 PM GMT