Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Video Playback — Parallax Forums

Propeller Video Playback

ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
edited 2007-10-22 10:26 in Propeller 1
Here is the link to a short demonstration of the movie capabilities of the PropGFX graphics co-processor for the Hybrid.

The movie is being streamed off the SD Card attached to the Hybrid.

Resolution is 120*96, 256 Colours at 30 FPS, we've just got the sound to add now.

12KB / Frame, New 256 Colour Palette every Frame.

Enjoy...

www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-pb/m-1192456487/

For more info go to Propeller Hybrid / PropGFX Forums

www.propgfx.co.uk/forum

Post Edited (Coley) : 10/23/2007 2:48:51 PM GMT

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-10-20 08:29
    Coley -

I must have missed something, I didn't know what the PropGFX or the Hybrid was. I see it is another gaming platform with more advanced capabilities - great work!

So, for the demo in the movie the Prop is simply copying a series of images off the SD card and rendering them onto the display?

Again, great work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-10-20 11:27
    Timothy,

We've been keeping it quiet until it's ready to go, the Hybrid is finished and shipping, we're almost done with propgfx too.
    Yeah, the demo is pulling the images off the Hybrid's SD and sending them to the PropGFX and it's not double buffered, so there's plenty of ram left on both for other stuff too like sprites, and game code and audio [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-20 12:28
    So it's basically a propeller, R2R D/A decoders, and an RGB to Composite modulator? Pretty neat. I assume you're going to use pre-packaged R2R networks in production.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
    edited 2007-10-20 13:23
    Ken, PropGFX will all fit onto a Dip40, and yes, if we can source the R2R networks, we'll be using those.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-20 13:29
    They are quite common in a SIP module. Bourns & Semiconwell are a couple of brands.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
    edited 2007-10-20 13:32
    ok, Cheers for the tip [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-10-21 05:55
    Thank you Baggers for the response!

Do you have the code downloadable for the demo?· I would like to learn more about how you preprocessed each frame onto the SD card, how you created the pallete and how the Prop code handles all this.· You mention that you will be able to add sprites.· Will one be able to overlay graphics onto the images off of the SD card?· Will the overlays be 256 color or different?

I am writing down my ideas for a project that will use an 128 x 128 pixel OLED screen.· I would like to use a deep color depth, but that is only a want, not a need.· For now I need to figure out how to pull an image off an SD card to use as the background/wallpaper.· The foreground will have text and icons for the user interface overlaid on the wallpaper.· It looks like your demo here may provide the inspiration I need to figure out how to tackle my design dilema.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    edited 2007-10-21 08:15
    Hi Timothy,
    The demo is for the Hybrid with the PropGFX card plug in, (using the expansion port), so if I posted it, you still wouldn't be able to use it.
    The pre-processing involved is quite a lengthy process at the moment, until I fully automate it.
    I use RADTOOLS to convert the movie to the correct resolution and frame rate, and encode it to uncompressed 24bit video.
    Then I wrote an app to strip each frame out and save it as a BMP file, then use photoshop to batch process them into 256 colours, ( til I add the same function to my frame stripper ) then I have another program that reads all the converted bmp's and puts them into one big file, along with the wav for putting on SD to stream.
    As for sprites, yes, the sprite abilities are available in all background modes. ( tilemap, 16colour bitmap, and 256 colour bitmap, there will·even besome more modes i'm in the middle of adding.·) see the link below, the plasma demo at the bottom will show you sprites over the 256 colour bitmap screen.

http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-pb/m-1192203749/s-all/
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-10-21 15:48
    Hi Timothy,

Might I ask the nature of your design as we too are working on an LCD project and we may be able to share some ideas, I must admit though it is based on a 2.5" TFT LCD.
    Presently we are using a twin propeller based design to get the benefits of the increase in colour depth.

PM me if you want to talk 'off air'

Regards,

Coley cool.gif
    edited 2007-10-22 10:26
    Thank you Bagger and Coley for the response.·

Man that does sound like an involved process to get the images in the correct format for displaying on the Prop.· Certainly more automation of the process will open up the doors for others to be able to duplicate what you are doing and begin adding features.·

I clicked over to the web link to check out the post.· It wants me to register to view the "downloads".· I will have to register·later this evening when I have more free time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com