Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Catamaran — Parallax Forums

Propeller Catamaran

AleAle Posts: 2,363
edited 2007-10-19 17:46 in Propeller 1
(I mistakenly used the new topic button instead of the post reply... so)

I'm building (something at last) a Catamaran, a boat with 2 hulls. I'm planning on using brushless motors, so I bought 2 with controllers. I did not receive the components yet, but I read somewhere that these kind of controllers, some input cables, 3 wires output, not very descriptive, eh?) are handled like a normal serve with a 50 or so Hz PWM signal. It is that so ?

I'm planning of using one of my propellers to control this motor, a servo to control that thing that changes direction, whatever is called in English (timon in spanish). I know a stamp can do that, but the neat thing is I'd like to use an ultrasonic sonar to scan the surroundings and build a 2D map of that lake or water pool, and to send that to the remote control. I was thinking that a pair of 433 MHz transmitter recievers will do the trick.

What you guys (and gals :-D) think ?, the hulls for a small proto are ready smile.gif, motors show up next week, hopefully, and a propeller, not the micro, the other one... I did not buy yet.

Photos of the progress as soon as something more than the hulls are ready, maybe when the deck is mounted.

Gru

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-19 17:18
    Wow...what a neat idea...use a propeller to drive a boat! smile.gif

So..you'll have a propeller driven by a motor that's controlled by a propeller! smile.gif

Sorry...couldn't resist.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-19 17:25
    Ale,

It's a rudder (that steers the boat).

Yup, just use any of the servo objects to control the ESCs (Electronic Speed Controller).

Watch-out for water getting at the ultrasonics; someone else on these forums (his name escapes me right now) had problems with that on his yatch.

Keep us updated, and good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-19 17:30
    Recommended reading· --·Matteo Borri's Navcom thesis: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

Another useful english word: tiller
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-19 17:46
    Yup, that's the guy (thanks Fred) smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif