Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Protoboard trouble shooting... — Parallax Forums

Protoboard trouble shooting...

BamseBamse Posts: 561
edited 2007-10-19 05:06 in Propeller 1
Howdy...

I recently got a Propeller Protoboard and accessory pack...
Since I had a MAX3232 lying around and need the old fashion RS232 I figured I save a buck or two by not ordering the clip or plug for programming...

So I followed the Propstick schematics (http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PropStick-v1.2.pdf)
and soldered on the Max3232, hooked it up and no propeller can be found by the Propeller tool... wink.gif
I hooked up my Hydra and tried again to make sure the Propeller tool works and no problems there...

So back to the protoboard...
I might have gotten the prop-plug connections wrong...
Looking at the attached picture, I have assumed the order is:
RX
TX
RES
Vss
With Vss closest to the keyboard/mouse/VGA connector...
Is this correct ???

The Vdd is 3.3 V and the 5V is 5V as well, so that seem to OK...
What other tests can I do with a Digital Multi Meter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
[noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
[noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
1600 x 1200 - 522K

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-10-19 03:26
    Bamse said...
    RX
    TX
    RES
    Vss
    With Vss closest to the keyboard/mouse/VGA connector...
    Is this correct ???

Yes. RX nearest PSU socket. Note RX is transmit to the PC, TX is receive from the PC.

If you've wired to the empty USB2SER holes to the right of the PropPlug connector ( regulators at top ), the order there is different to the PropPlug header. There's a circuit diagram in the Propeller Pro-Board PDF, not sure where, but probably on the main Propeler download page.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-10-19 04:06
    Thanks Hippy...

I think I had a little bit of a breakthrough here...

If I open up an EEPROM image and hold down the reset button on the protoboard and then let go at the same time I click "Load RAM" it will actually program...

So I narrowed it down to the reset circuit...

Guess I got RX and TX correct and the MAX3232 actually works... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-10-19 05:06
    Got it...
    I just by-passed the MAX3232 and hooked the reset circuit straight to pin 4 on the D-sub... eyes.gif

The VGA_HiRes_Text_Demo is up and running and it's looking good...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse