Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FemtoBasic for Hitt Consulting's PropDongle and other minimal Prop boards — Parallax Forums

FemtoBasic for Hitt Consulting's PropDongle and other minimal Prop boards

Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
edited 2007-10-16 15:07 in Propeller 1
I've put together a version of FemtoBasic uploaded to the Object Exchange that's stripped down for Propeller boards without special I/O and uses the programming serial port for "console" I/O. It does keep the SD card support (on I/O pins 8-11). This is specifically intended for use with Hitt Consulting's PropDongle, but would work well with any minimal Propeller board like the
PropStick, PropStickUSB, or the SpinStamp. As will all FemtoBasic derivatives, there's direct access to the I/O pins, the counters, and any EEPROM attached to pins 28/29.

Comments

• nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2007-10-16 07:39
    Mike, what terminal program do you recommend for use with this I/O-less femtobasic? For the last months a have happily used Propterminal on my protoboard with femtobasic version 2.004 as posted here http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=189805. Or is there no real need to upgrade to the 3.001 version (no additional features or bugfixes)?

Nico Hattink
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-10-16 14:01
    Wow.. That file is at 64 downloads.. (And I thought no one noticed it!)

@Mike: Would you mind my posting Femtobasic_PropTerminal to the object exchange?

It appears to do the same thing yours does except it was geared toward Propterm,
    and I couldn't resist adding a couple commands to play with the graphics and color
    in that driver.

We may need an entire section on OBEX just to host all the flavors of Femto. <GRIN>

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-16 15:07
    Nico,
    There were some bugs fixed in the last update to FemtoBasic. I think the "autorun" feature was added then as well.

I've used HyperTerminal under Windows and both ZTerm and MacWise under the Mac OS as terminal programs for the serial Basics. I think you could use the Stamp Editor's debug window. Certainly you could use PropTerminal. Anything that talks 9600 Baud 8-bit asynchronous serial without handshaking should work.

Oldbitcollector,
    I don't have any objections to people posting variations / improvements / extensions to programs I've posted. There are some responsibility issues that people will have to address for themselves:

1) Is there enough functional difference between what's already there and what the person wants to post to warrant adding to the clutter? Clearly, one person's major functional improvement is another person's clutter. That's why it's a responsibility issue.

2) FemtoBasic is pretty stable at this point. The BoeBotBasic derivatives are a little different and borrow some of their I/O drivers and memory organization from the Propeller OS. A couple of bugs were introduced which have now been fixed and there will be a new BoeBotBasic version uploaded shortly. Are you (or anyone else considering posting a FemtoBasic derivative) willing to take responsibility for monitoring for updates to the original and updating their derivative program?