Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WIFI Handing wit propeller — Parallax Forums

WIFI Handing wit propeller

Neo2aNeo2a Posts: 6
edited 2007-10-21 02:41 in Propeller 1
Dear Genius!

If you have any idea how can I connect for example one wifi SD card to propeller and
how can I transfer some bytes to PC and from PC please write me here.

Thank you.

Comments

• SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2007-10-15 16:07
    Are you asking somebody to develop the project for you?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-15 17:13
    If you are asking about the WiFi interface cards that are made in an SD card form factor like the one sold by PalmOne, there is no existing software that would allow you to use it with a Propeller. The existing SD card software is for memory cards only, not I/O cards.

There are some WiFi interfaces, for example the WiPort made by Lantronix, that can be used with the Propeller. You can also use Parallax's memory stick data logger to transfer files back and forth with a PC using a standard USB flash memory stick. There's Rokicki's SD Card I/O routines that will read and write PC compatible files as long as there's only a root directory (the routines ignore any subdirectories).
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-16 11:06
    You might also like to take a look at the DPAC Technologies 'Airbourne' WiFi products (http://www.sssplc.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=7).

UART / Digital I/O / Analogue Embedded Wireless (802.11b) Bridge.
    Product Code:- WLNB-AN-DP101-G
    Product Information

The Airborne embedded module features a fully intergrated 802.11 radio and network processor that provides a complete wireless network connection in a single, small footprint package. Airborne wireless modules provide all of the network protocols and processing needed to implement embedded wireless solutions. They offer industrial-grade performance, making them ideally suited to harsh environments.

Sparkfun also sell these, along with a breakout board.

HTH.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • Neo2aNeo2a Posts: 6
    edited 2007-10-16 11:22
    Yes good idea, but the price is so high of this moduls. I have two price quotation from hungarian distributors like:
    WP2001000-02 WiPort about 168 EUR
    DC-WME-01T-S DIGI about 270 EUR
    Any other WIFI CF or SD card's price is no more than 80 EUR
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-16 13:15
    yeah...who wants to spend $125 to add wireless capability to a $13 Propeller?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-10-16 13:37
    @ Neo2a : If you don't actually need Wi-Fi there are cheaper alternatives for wireless communications from a Propeller and PC, of particular note is the XBee product from MaxStream.
  • Neo2aNeo2a Posts: 6
    edited 2007-10-16 13:48
    It is good solution, but the wifi network already intalled that area where I want to use this.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-17 09:08
    Hi Ken,

Yup, I agree; but it depends if you have any choice!

If the application requires WiFi; if the Prop' can't do it itself (I'd like to see me proven wrong!), and the solution you're designing warrants the cost, then that's the price you'll have to pay cry.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-10-18 00:57
    You could use a PINK module with a WIFI -> Ethernet bridge

Regards,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." -

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."

"The best accelerator available for a Mac is one that causes it to go at 9.81 m/s2."

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

"Windows isn't a virus, viruses do something."

"Programmers are tools for converting caffeine into code."

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue."
  • Mark BramwellMark Bramwell Posts: 56
    edited 2007-10-21 01:28
    A related problem to using a SD Wifi card is not just the 'driver', but the fact that an IP stack would be required. I do not think you could create a SD-Wifi driver AND tcp/ip stack AND have enough memory left over to do anything useful.

The propeller is neat but lacking in memory for anything big and complex.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-10-21 02:27
    I wonder if someone sells a product that will do serial over wifi.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-21 02:41
    Lantronix makes a variety of WiFi interfaces that talk via serial to a microcontroller. Have a look.