Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PROJECT: Hydra Repeat [complete] — Parallax Forums

PROJECT: Hydra Repeat [complete]

Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
edited 2007-12-10 22:15 in Propeller 1
Hydra Repeat/Simon

This is my attempt to make a "Pocket Simon"-like game for the Hydra.

Version 1.1 is attatched. All known issues have been fixed with the exception of high scores being lost after reset (which I'm not going to fix.)

Post Edited (Spork Frog) : 11/17/2007 2:51:47 PM GMT

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-10-15 16:29
    Very cool.
    Although not to sound like a pain or anything.
    I'm not sure if you can include HEL_gfx_engine and NS_sound_drv in your post.
    Since those two files are from the Hydra CD, they're not allowed to be distributed.

If you'd like 100% open source freedom. Then why not try another video driver and another sound driver?

Good video drivers can be found at: propeller.wikispaces.com/
    As for sound, your best bet is Hydra Sound System (Hss)www.andrewarsenault.com/hss/ or HYDRA Dense Music Format (HDMF).

Hope that helps. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-10-16 02:10
    Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I took down the archive for now, and I'll be re-posting later this week with a new version free of either.

I used HEL mostly becasue I could just palette swap and it was easy, but another driver may be used anyway since it's overkill. Same goes for the sound driver; I could just simply output a single frequency using one of the prop's counters and it would work just as well.

I also tweaked the luma a little bit to make the colors a little brighter, coming up in the next ver pretty quick.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-10-16 07:20
    What would be REALLY cool is if the image on the screen looked just like the simon, that would be pretty slick.

andre'
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-10-16 13:04
    That is a pretty good idea. What would be even better is to rotate the simon device so it is oriented like the game pad, so one of the buttons is up, one is down, left, and right. That would make it easy to play, and you could still have the mouse pointer in there as well.
    edited 2007-10-16 19:27
    Hey, not a bad idea at all. I'll try and work on that in the future-- right now, I'm working more on the back end more than anything. But I'll work on that in the future.
    edited 2007-10-18 00:32
    Did a few minutes of work and paint and got this (attatched.) Ideas/suggestions?
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-10-18 04:40
    Cool...

How about adding four LEDs in addition to the screen, extra hardware is always fun... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
    edited 2007-11-04 14:40
    Ok, so this project has been forgotten/negelcted by me for a period, but now there's progress!

I'm almost finished with the actual graphical part of it. I'm going to modify the Spectrum driver a little bit to do pallette swapping to simulate pressing one of the buttons on screen.

The engine part is the same as it was- 1=up, 2=left, 3=down, 4=right. No updates there yet.

Next up will be pallette swapping and user input.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-11-04 19:55
    Good, well hopefully you finish. I would rather die than not finish anything. Also, its a good feeling to finish things since there is a point in every project where it gets too complex and most people either lie to themselves and say "I could do it if I wanted to, but I dont have time" or they just give up. But, if you pass over that hump then in the end you actually learn something because solving that one problem where the complexity gets too hard is the only time you really do learn.

Andre'
    edited 2007-11-04 21:03
    AndreL said...
    I would rather die than not finish anything.
    That made me burst out laughing.

I sometimes get like you described, don't tend to finish stuff, leave it be. I can start it, but hardly finish anything. But you're right, it is a learning experience the whole way through, which is why I do stuff like this in the first place.
    edited 2007-11-06 23:12
    Sorry for the poor picture quality.

I did a little more cleanup and beautifying on the bitmap, as well as a little pallette tweaking in the Spectrum driver, and got this as a result.

I'd post source, but there's really nothing to see.
    285 x 214 - 16K
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-11-07 09:57
    Looks great so far!

Simon was one of my favourite toys as a Kid, I am looking forward to seeing this working...

Regards,

Coley
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-11-07 13:44
    looks cool, can't wait to play it.

I used to have a Simon game too, I'm sure my daughters will love playing it also [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2007-11-11 19:23
    Simon, WIP release 0.1

Graphics and backend combined. Use the arrow keys to play.

Coming up next on the next WIP:
    -Score-keeping
    -Darken the middle circle to distinguish it from the rest
    -NES Gamepad control
    -New game without reset

Post Edited (Spork Frog) : 11/16/2007 12:30:11 AM GMT
    edited 2007-11-16 00:13
    Simon Final release 1.0

Many new features added.

Current known issues: High score lost after reset. I'm not going to fix this

My god, the graphics for this thing are about 10 times bigger than my actual code.

Post Edited (Spork Frog) : 11/16/2007 12:29:47 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-11-16 00:21
    Project now added to PROJECT master index, congratulations on completing it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-11-16 02:51
    Hey Spork Frog,

That's really nice. It's come together really well. Like the graphics. And I like the way the computer speeds up as the sequences get longer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
    edited 2007-11-16 17:34
    I've got a suggestion. How about making a bit more of the end of a game. The long beep and a return to the title screen seems a bit abrupt. How about a "GAME OVER" or a bit of gloating by the computer by playing the sequence quickly twice right and then once wrongly as you did. Or maybe an end of game tune like some arcade games have. I think something like that would add a bit of extra polish on what is already a fun game.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-16 20:55
    SIMON, release 1.1

How's this look?

EDIT: Might as well make this a release now.

Post Edited (Spork Frog) : 11/16/2007 11:31:46 PM GMT
    edited 2007-11-16 23:05
    LOL! Excellent! And such quick service too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-16 23:26
    BTW, I notice that teh black background you are using is really black. You must be using 01 as black, rather then 02. Works perfectly for me, and looks nicer than 02, which is really a grey.

Does this black work for everyone else's TVs too? If so I might start using it for Defender.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-11-16 23:28
    Yup, that's 01. 02 was too close to grey in the center ring originally, so I bumped it down.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-11-20 21:43
    Discovered a minor issue last night at our club meeting.

I ran this on a two-year old 26" TV and had the top right corner tear.
    Looked a lot like the original manic miner did before it was patched for this.
    (For that matter the same fix might repair this if you are using the same video code.)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-11-20 22:08
    Excellent work Spork Frog, plays well, and looks really polished [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2007-11-20 22:23
    @Oldbitcollector: That sounds like a Spectrum driver issue to me. What ended up being the fix on Manic Miner?
    edited 2007-11-21 00:38
    I think the fix was in this thread...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649775

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

edited 2007-11-21 01:02
    Okay, I implemented the fix in that thread. Can you test it again?
    edited 2007-11-21 01:39
    It'll be a day or two.. Sorry!

The TV I used is located at the church we hold our local microcontroller users group meetings at..
    I have a key, so since there is no normal gatherings till Sunday (due to turkey day) I'll drop in
    and hook the prop up and see what happens.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• jbumataijbumatai Posts: 26
    edited 2007-12-07 02:02
    The Spectrum TV Driver is not working on my Sony Trinitron. I am getting a flagging.

JB

Post Edited (jbumatai) : 12/7/2007 3:42:30 AM GMT
  • jbumataijbumatai Posts: 26
    edited 2007-12-07 02:06
    I am not on my toy station but I did check out the graphics tools on the Hydra CD. I did not figure out how to do the bitmap conversion but Chapter 2 speaks about it here: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/Hydra-Ch22Sample-v1.0.pdf

Since I am not at my workstation, I cannot go to the cd file right now. But I would like to learn how to complete the bitmap conversion. How did you do it?

JB