Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller to Noritake — Parallax Forums

Propeller to Noritake

Rich0327Rich0327 Posts: 6
edited 2007-10-15 13:13 in Propeller 1
Ok I'm a first timer. Any one out there doing anything with Noritake graphic displays (16 x 140 or 16 x 112) with the propeller chip. I have been trying to get mine to work for a bit and OK I need some help.
Can any one lend me a cup of code that I can pic at. Thank you.· confused.gif

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-13 14:38
    Do you have a data sheet on the device(s)? And are they 5v logic interfaces?

What Propeller board are you working with?

This forum probably can't help you much with 'pic's. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Rich0327Rich0327 Posts: 6
    edited 2007-10-13 17:04
    The display is 5V and will work with TTL or CMOS inputs. I have a alpha/num display from the same company and it works very well. I also have all the·data for the display.

I am using The "Propeller Proto Board 32212" and have installed the extras kit. you know VGA, Mouse, Keyboard.

ALso, That was a joke "Pics" I can handle the graphics once I get the thing to turn on. So what ya think. Thanks Rich blush.gif
    edited 2007-10-13 20:37
    I downloaded the short document on GUI112x16G-7003; have been interested in these VFDs for some time.

I'm wondering if the initialization is correct (LCDs sure are critical on their's).

Also wondering about the cabling to it. There seems to be quite a few i/f types available.

Do you see anything? Or does it stay 'dark'? Has the brightness code been sent?

I'm familiar with the ProtoBoards; got a 6-pack when first available. Good deal, and very useful board to begin projects with.

I've not noticed anyone else memtioning Noritake VFD. Might be on your own.

Best wishes on finding what's not quite right. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-10-13 20:49
    Another thought, Rich0327

I just recalled seeing reference to a 'controller board' while on Noritake's web site. Does your's have one? Non-graphic displays seem to need them for the bit-mapped graphic bits. Just a thought. You didn't tell us much of what your problem is, so is difficult to provide real help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-10-13 22:25
    Harley;

···· At one point I have had the graphic displays working with a BS-p. It worked great. I am sure it is an init Thing. I also have the full *.pdf for the graphics display. You have to ask Noritake for them. Iv'e sent it with this post plus other displays you may want to look at. I have been using these displays for years and thay are fantastic. I am just new to Propeller chips. As for the pins I have set 1 of the 3 that I have up for 8Bit Par, 1 with Serial single line write. in both I have nothing most of the time but at times I will see some junk so I know the display is working. My P I/Os are:

DisplayPin#1 GND

DisplayPin#2 5VDC

DisplayPin#4 RS·to PropPin#7

DisplayPin#5·/WR·to PropPin#6

DisplayPin#6 /RD·to PropPin#5

Display·Pin#7 D0 to PropPin#8... Display·Pin#14 D7 to PropPin#15

Get back to me and Thanks Again. Rich
    edited 2007-10-13 23:45
    Rich,

Thanks for those .pdf files. I only took the 'short' one as it might take too long to get someone from the company to respond over the weekend.

Good to hear the displays have worked for you before; I was wondering if there was something wrong with them.

I'm wondering if the timing of the Prop signals to the VFD are proper; widths, delays, etc. Since you mention having used them with a BS-p (I've worked with BS2's before, much slower than Prop); might the -p have been slower than Prop too? Did you just translate BS-p code to Spin?

Do you have access to a scope to verify the RS, /WR and /RD and data lines are working properly? The pinouts seem near identical to most 14-pin LCDs, excepr for pin 3 and the /RD signal.

Hopefully you have the 'current limit' resistors in, if you do any reads from the display. I am i/f-ing two Props to a slew of TTL 5v chips, so am cautious about 5v signals going into the Prop.

It's difficult to trouble shoot without knowing lots more. Have you continuity checked that the signals are proper, no opens shorts, etc? When I build interfaces I spend a bit of time making sure of those details which can waste time or 'smoke' parts.

If you i/f'd one serially to the Prop, wonder if that could help point to a problem area. You could use FullDuplexSerial object; I'm using it for two different baudrates; works great. Can it be init'd using only serial?

Hope two heads can fix your problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-10-14 00:07
    Harley:

··· OK. Yes I have an OScope. SO let me work on your questions and get back to you. If you want, I have a spare display. Do you want to play with it???

Let me know. Rich
    edited 2007-10-15 02:04
    Harley:

···· I got it working. yeah.gif It was just an init thing. Putting in the correct command is a good thing. Thanks for all the help. Rich
    edited 2007-10-15 05:30
    Rich,

That's good news. In electronics, sometimes info MUST be precise. Though one may not realize what's really needed.

This forum is quite helpful. One though need patience for the right one(s) to come by and help. Great people here.
    Hopefully you can post some 'pics' of the display working. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-10-15 13:13
    Harley:
    Thanks for the words and I will do that soon. Oh Just so you know, the key to geting it was so simple. I will just say that sometimes the best INIT routine is NO routine at all. The display defaults
    in text mode. I am going to start picking at it now that I have it working. Thanks again I will be in touch. Rich