Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propstick power — Parallax Forums

Propstick power

UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
edited 2007-10-11 18:41 in Propeller 1
Hi all, for the initial experiments in the Propeller manual·can the Propstick be powered by the USB or is a seperate supply required. If I can use the USB as my supply what are the current limits. I am going to use a seperate regulator eventually but I just wanted to know if I could make a start just using the Prop and the USB cable with a couple of LEDs.

thanks
Jeff T.

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-11 18:34
    It could be. I don't have one myself, but looking at the Propstick USB, it looks like the traces would be hard to get to to do a on-board hack. Perhaps cut up a USB ext cable and break out the Power and GND wires, and wire those directly to "Vin" and "Vss" on the Propstick? then you can simply plug the USB cable from your computer into the modified USB ext cable?

If that's too much of a pain, Try Bean's PropDongle!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-10-11 18:36
    Jeff,
    Yeah the PropDongle is completely powered by the USB port.
    Here is a link if you are interested http://www.hittconsulting.com/products/propdongle/

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My goal is to live forever...Or die trying.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-10-11 18:41
    Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I didn't word my question well. I didn't want to hack the stick or cable I wondered if that was how it was designed. That if the USB actually powered the Propstick and is it possible to run a few of the simple examples in the manual. I just got the Propstick and wasn't sure if it can be done.

Thanks

Jeff T.

EDIT ok thanks Bean, I imagined the Propstick to be a similar setup, am I wrong?

EDIT 2 actually the dongle looks good I wish I had bought one

Post Edited (Unsoundcode) : 10/11/2007 6:47:41 PM GMT