Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Future prop possibilities. — Parallax Forums

Future prop possibilities.

matb_ukmatb_uk Posts: 16
edited 2007-11-11 12:29 in Propeller 1
Hi all, i was thinking about the potential of the prop II when it arrives. I'm barely scratching the surface of the what the current Prop can do but i was wondering what the successor may be capable of. Would we likely see higher video resolutions with higher colour depths or pixel based rendering as apposed to tile based or would the 512 long cog ram be the limiting factor? Would external ram be a possibility with all the extra IO that the new prop would have? Could a different CPU be emulated in a cog(s) so you could have maybe a speccy emulator or something?

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-10-11 11:41
    Hi matb,

Whilst there are many more knowledgeable people than me on this forum - who I hope will correct my answers if required - I believe that PropII will be able to do all you've suggested smile.gif

Higher resolutions - Yes, with new object; ans I understand it the resolution's limited only by the number of COGs you want to throw at it (and that's down to limited COG memory I think).

Colour depth - not sure, but probably.

Pixel rendering - not sure, probably.

External RAM - yup; but only if you're happy using-up those extra pins.

CPU emulation - I guess so. I seem to remember lots of talk of emulating the Commodore 64 at one time; don't know how far that got though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • DifferentDifferent Posts: 11
    edited 2007-10-11 12:45
    matb_uk said...
    Hi all, i was thinking about the potential of the prop II when it arrives. I'm barely scratching the surface of the what the current Prop can do but i was wondering what the successor may be capable of. Would we likely see higher video resolutions with higher colour depths or pixel based rendering as apposed to tile based or would the 512 long cog ram be the limiting factor? Would external ram be a possibility with all the extra IO that the new prop would have? Could a different CPU be emulated in a cog(s) so you could have maybe a speccy emulator or something?
    Hi matb_uk,

Look at external SPI chip with 32KB RAM memory: N256S0830HDA burger.gif

Best regards,
    Radio DELANET

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Radio DELANET - modern electronics by own hands!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2007-10-11 15:01
    ...and there will be a C compilier!

I've not looked at how large the CPU emulations are, but there is just a ton of code for this purpose, already written. Maybe the best thing would be to do it in native prop assembly...

Video resolution, pixels, color depth, etc... will not be limited by COG memory. Common, practical resolutions and bit depths will not require lots of COGs either.

External RAM could be paged in and out, DMA style, with a COG or two, of 16, handling requests.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-11 16:00
    matb_uk,

Without reading ALL of the "What would you want more of...." thread, go to page 19, 6/28/2007, 3:56pm entry.

I listed the then known details of Prop gen#2 and the post the info came from. (Formatting got screwed-up on copy/paste from my document; and I didn't know how to correct that.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Lee MarshallLee Marshall Posts: 106
    edited 2007-10-11 19:30
    Somebody said...
    Could a different CPU be emulated in a cog(s) so you could have maybe a speccy emulator or something?

I was going to try and write picmicro emulator for fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand
    -Confucius
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2007-10-11 19:35
    I really want to see a PROP BASIC something like SX/B or PBASIC that is simple enough to pick up from experience with SX/B and / or PBASIC but still robust enough to go beyond SX/B capabilties. More variable RAM too.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,255
    edited 2007-10-30 10:39
    Hi T&M Engineer

Have you seen Femto Basic that Mike has put together. It is in the object exchange at: http://obex.parallax.com/objects/28/
    There's also BoeBotBasic at http://obex.parallax.com/objects/27/ and BS2 pbasic functions at http://obex.parallax.com/objects/30/
  • DynamoBenDynamoBen Posts: 366
    edited 2007-11-10 17:22
    This may seem odd but I'm hoping Parallax comes out with a lower pin count prop. I have a couple of projects that I've done that used the 16F628 and 16F876 and would love to port them to the prop.
    ·
    The size and cost of the current prop are the limiting factors. A 16F876A runs anywhere from $4-7 whereas the prop is $12. That being said when the prop is compared to the 16F877 the price becomes less of an issue $9 vs $12.
    ·
    Any thoughts about “baby” props coming out in the near future?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-10 17:57
    You are not likely to see "baby" Props. The die size would not be significantly smaller and there's no point to having fewer external leads when you already have a large package. The only way to save on die size would be to cut the number of processors down (like in half) and reduce the amount of memory and the market is just not large enough to justify designing a whole new chip (which is what would be involved).

The cost can certainly come down as the volume rises and as the development costs are paid off. The actual cost of production of the chip in volume should be low enough. Don't forget that you can buy current Prop chips for $8 each in 1000 chip lots. Small volume prices don't reflect the actual costs of the chip production.
  • DynamoBenDynamoBen Posts: 366
    edited 2007-11-10 18:35
    Mike Green said...
    The only way to save on die size would be to cut the number of processors down (like in half) and reduce the amount of memory...
    This is what I had in mind, lower pin count and fewer processors, but I do see your point.
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-11-11 01:32
    This has probably been addressed before, but is there a release date/estimate for the PropII?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --DFaust
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-11-11 06:14
    D Faust,
    NO! It has been addressed many times before.
  • t2nt2nt2nt2n Posts: 21
    edited 2007-11-11 11:40
    Hi,
    If I can add my 2 cents :

- a C compiler

- a Prop II which can drive pmw, serial communications and so on, without to have using assembly language as soon as you have to work with 80 or 100 kbit/s
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-11-11 12:29
    That sounds like a good forecast!
    We can assume that the PropII will be at least twice as fast when bound to HUB accesses.
    C will be 10 times faster than SPIN (at the cost of larger programs).
    So yes, 200 kBit/s will be possible smile.gif