Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD Card adapter price reduction — Parallax Forums

SD Card adapter price reduction

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-10-13 16:01 in Propeller 1
I just reduced the price of the SD Card Adapter to $12.99 (was $17.50) as always, shipping is $5 regardless of quantity ordered.

A brief overview of what the SD adapter is, for those of you that may have missed it's initial launch.
I said...
What is it?
The Propeller SD card adapter combines a SD card socket with the requisite pull up resisters. Only the SD card connections that are important for SPI interfacing are included in the connector. This provides an easy connection to many existing Propeller development setups, including the Protoboard, Propeller education kit and the Demo Board.

This is available now on my website - ucontroller.com/ There is a link to the illustrated documentation right on the main page. The selling price is $17.50 plus shipping. The first batch will come fully assembled and tested, but it is really intended to be a kit. Subsequent batches will require some soldering. The Surface mount SD socket will always be done, but the easier to solder, through-hole parts, will need to be added before use.

I have tested it with a few different SD card demos that are available on this forum:
Baggers amazing graphics demo
and the Kiosk Demo from the Embedded Systems Conference

If you have any questions about this adapter, please feel free to ask!

I have inventory on hand ready to ship.
Order at ucontroller.com/

Photos attached below of the Adapter, and another photo of it plugged into a Propeller Proto Board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
2032 x 1524 - 968K

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-10 02:10
    I detect iSpin.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-10-10 02:35
    Fred Hawkins said...
    I detect iSpin.

slightly different, Apple's cut came only 10 weeks after launch. Mine was 4 months later. Their cut was $200, mine less than $5

Every product goes through a lifecycle. Look at the Propeller for example, when it was released it was $25, now it's $12.95.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-10 03:23
    Yup, everything is proportional.
    I sued you and got two cents.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-10-10 08:16
    Well, I want one. Very nice and useful. You will be getting an email from me on with questions how to get this shipped to Taiwan.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-10-13 13:18
    I've gotten a few requests lately for international shipping.

I've found a shipping method from the US post office called "First-Class Mail International" it's very economical for the small weights involved in my SpinStudio boards. The UK is approximately the same as it costs me to ship domestically with Priority mail (which is how I ship all packages within the US) other countries are slightly more.

As I start getting feedback from international customers, I will compile a chart with some time frames to expect for various countries. The first on the list will be Taiwan when I find out how long it took Kramer to receive his. All the Post Offices website says on the subject of time frames is "Varies"

Any Import tax, Duties, VAT or anything like that is collected upon delivery for what I understand.

And I'm only able to ship international packages on Saturday, because of the time involved at the post office filling out customs forms, I work full time during the week and don't have time during lunch to visit the post office for that long. All domestic shipments ship daily as I can print the postage online and drop in my own mailbox.

Thank you all!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-10-13 13:51
    Any plans on doing a much tighter uSDCard board. It could litterally be 1/8th the total size of this one.

Thanks,
    Doug
    edited 2007-10-13 16:01
    Not a bad idea at all! The current SD board could be made smaller as well, but the mounting holes would have to go, that's the only reason that it's the current size. There wasn't room inboard of the mounting holes, so it had to go outboard of the holes, there's alot of wasted space.

The mounting holes are only needed if used with the SpinStudio mainboard. when plugged in by the 20 pin connector, It needs some extra support. I mounted my SpinStudio to a piece of Lexan and found some appropriate spacers to mount the mainboard and all the peripheral cards. I leave the mounting solution up to the customer, but provide mounting holes in most of my boards.

But if the uSD socket is small enough to fit inboard of the mounting holes...... or perhaps the board will be small enough that it will not need additional support and the holes can be eliminated all together.

Thanks for your insight!
    Hinv said...
    Any plans on doing a much tighter uSDCard board. It could litterally be 1/8th the total size of this one.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian